Monday, August 3, 2026

Tom's Goblins and Orcs: Wrap Up

 



Ahh, the wrap up. Most usually a great time to add that extra model or two to round out the army...
No such bonuses from me I'm afraid! 
Above ☝️ is my army pic for this years OWAC. A fantastic one this year - I really did enjoy painting it all (and by enjoy, I mean: really like looking at it after its painted!)
I did make a little 2'x2' board to display everything on, with maybe the aim of entering it into Armies on Parade this year. Naturally I'd have to make a hill, maybe some walls and fences etcetc, but I totally lost my mojo after I found out that AoP is not happening this year.

Anyhow, here's the underside of the board, which is a 3mm hardboard, framed with some wood that was nearby in the shop to stop it warping. I glued the baton onto the hardboard and then hammered in some tacks to really solidify it. If I were to do this again, I'd put another baton brace in the middle of the board to REALLY REALLY solidify it, and I'd also glue some bits of paper over the tack heads so that they wouldn't show through the paint and flock...

Anyway, after creating the board, I painted it a light green (using a mix of craft acrylic paint and PVA).

I then covered it in the same mixture (after it had dried of course), but with the addition of more PVA, and then sprinkled the flock all over (Javis Light Green Fine Turf - link). 
Pro tip: put a huge bit of paper or some sheeting down  to catch the overspill. I didn't and the flock has gone   e v e r y w h e r e !
I left it overnight to dry, and then re-flocked.
After a full day drying outside, I added watered down PVA dabbed over everything to seal - poorly I might add. Probably needs another two coats! The edges were sanded down to get rid of any overspill and then painted a mix of PVA and black acrylic paint.


... 

Another pic of my OWAC VIIII


And here's how the horde looks when combined with last years OWAC : link

I'm immensely pleased, and even more pleased to find that I'm thinking of adding more monopose to it at some point! The only downside is that I've not finished the planned Black Orc unit from last year. Maybe it can be my own challenge to add it before Christmas...


Waaargh!


Here's my original army list as outlined in my Intro post, plus the extras I've managed to add at the end.

110... 1x Orc Warlord
72...   1 x Orc Big Boss
57...   1 x Orc Shaman

30...   10 x Goblins w/ short bows
24...   8 x Goblins w/ short bows
30...   10 x Goblins w/ slings
45...   5 x Goblin Wolf Riders

93.5... 17 x Orc Boys
11...     1 x Orc Standard Bearer
11...     1 x Orc Musician
53...     1 x Orc Boss

81...    1 x Orc Chariot
66.5... 1 x Small Rock Lobba (w/ three crew)
46.5... 1 x Bolt Throwa (w/ three crew)

80...    2 x Ogres
200...  1 x Giant
TOTAL:  1010.5


How it started

How it went



ADDITIONS
30...     2 x Snotling bases
200...   1 x Hill Giant
33...     1 x Night Goblin Big Boss (Grom)
15...     1 x Night Goblin Boss
28...     1 x Night Goblin Shaman
16...     2 x Night Goblin Squig Hunter Teams
120...   6 x Squigs
30...     1 x Night Goblin Fanatic
40...     1 x Ogre
120...   3 x Ogres (Dark World)
483...   1 x Goblin Big Boss riding White Dragon
TOTAL POINTS ADDITIONS: 1115

FREE... 7 x Farmyard animals

GRAND TOTAL: 2125.5
MODEL COUNT: 116

(Models are counted as 40mm base or over = 2models. War machines = 1model + crew)

Here are all the extra models 👇




And now, the obligatory links back through the Challenge...

Intro: link
January: Rank and File - link
February: Rank and File - link
March: Rank and File - link
April: Leaders - link
May: Rank and File - link
June: Wildcard - link



An ogre protects his lunch...




And I thought you'd like to see the unedited army shots... 👇




And that's about it! It's snuck up on me - the end of the month. I wish I had more pictures to share, but time has run out... It's only left to say:

✨All accolades to the OWAC finishers - congratulations! A painted army is a rare and wonderful thing ✨

Many thanks again to Iannick who founded the OWAC nearly a decade ago, and praise be heaped upon the overlords, the admins, and people behind the scenes who make this challenge Happen. Lead and plastic would not accrue the memories it holds now, if not for all your hard work. Thank you!

Last, but not least, thanks to you Reader! May your luck never fail 👊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog