Friday, March 1, 2019

Merijn's League of Legendary Liche's part 2 (194 points)

Octarine fog billowed around his gauntleted hands as Harold gestured theatrically while chanting the leaden words. Strictly speaking, neither the colourful fog nor the flailing hands were necessary for the ritual, the incantations alone would suffice. When you got right down to it, there was disappointingly little magic to all this spell casting business. 

Harold eyed the drab skeletal spearmen assigned to guard him with distaste. Ever the pragmatist, Meraldus had simply raised the skeletons from the nearest barrow hills for the purpose. No art, no imagination. Night after night, Harold had spent on the hill overlooking Beeckerhoven, rifling through the dreams and nightmares of it’s inhabitants.

The children, in particular, proved to be highly imaginative and Harold had spent his days crafting tiny pewter figures of the ghosts and ghouls that tormented the citizens of Beeckerhoven in their sleep. With a sweep of his arm, Harold scattered the miniatures like Hydra’s Teeth and watched as misty shapes started to coalesce, glowing silver under the moonlight.

To his left, a ghoul balefully glowered at the village below while sliding a finger along his throat in a threatening gesture, before loping off into the night. To his right, a black-robed creature bared its fangs and soundlessly stalked away. The insufferable child whose nightmares Harold had plucked the vampire from must have been colour blind. The silent creature was completely devoid of colour.


One by one the night horrors slipped into the darkness. With a thought Harold commanded them to haunt the village and the surrounding fields. By the time the main force of the League of Legendary Liche’s arrived, Beeckerhoven’s defenders would be terrified, ready to break and run at the first sight of the undead army.


Want to make Nagash laugh? Tell him about your plans. In my last post, I mentioned planning 10 infantry and 5 skeleton horsemen. But much like the weather, plans change.


Long before we could afford mini's when we were kids, we'd pass around the Red Catalogue and dream. Amongst all the different sets of miniatures on those hallowed pages, one spoke to my imagination in particular.


I just loved the sheer mad diversity of the Night Horrors. Every hammer horror monster, every nightmare cliche, every fairytale villain, they're all there. So when our intrepid administrator dragged up long-forgotten memories of ghouls and ghosts with his blog post, I resolved to track down some of my own.

I'll be using this ragtag group of misfits as a regiment of ghouls.

Byron had some good advice last time around and I've painted my skeleton's rags in the same shade of purple as the Harold the liche's tabard to tie things together a bit more. I'll be touching up the rags on the skellies I already did as well.

Anyway, this month's batch consists of:

80 pts (10 x 8) skeletons
20 pts (10 x 2) spears
30 pts (10 x 3) heavy armour

64 pts (8*8) ghouls

Total this month:194 pts
Overall total: 392 pts

I tried doing some diorama pics of my own but unfortunately, I don't have time to take pictures in daylight tomorrow. This'll have to do. At least I got some snaps under the painting lamp as well.




11 comments:

  1. Ooooh, night horrors, great use of them! And great fluff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my favourite is the medusa in reds. Or maybe the Hammer Horror vampire? Man, these are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A complete unit of these horrors is going to look awesome! What a freak show

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice idea to use them as ghouls. Will really individualize your army

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing Night Horrors painted up. Yours look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The devil with the pitchfork and the Vampire are my favorites. I really dig the sculpts. This army is going to be fantastic on the table with the variety of sculpts you are using.

    Great job dude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe here they are! I like your story and the night horrors are a sweet range. Well done here, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool direction for these figs! Like them alot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Night horrors are really nice and excellently painted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are a great trip down memory lane. I also like how you worked them into the story.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog