Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Jon's Bad Moons - They Tried To Make Me Go To Rehab (180 points)

Rank & File month #1

OK, so.

This was going to be a long drawn out whinge of a post about how much I dislike the actual act of smearing liquid plastic onto solid plastic, and It's been eighteen months since I picked up a paintbrush, apathy has led to atrophy, and oh god I'm letting the side down already.

But then I found the single model that the previous owner of my Orks had painted when he was a pre-teen, and... well, that's what I have to beat here.

With that in mind I've decided to approach the OWAC as a kind of Reluctant Painter's Rehab, getting my hand and eye and above all my mindset back into the hobby zone. There's no point in comparing what I do to what the others do because some of the others are doing this as collectors, photographers, diorama fanciers - people who paint for the sake of painting, or to have something that looks good in a studio-style photo. Me? I paint to play. Proper gamer's models that look fine under harsh artificial light from three or four feet away against a busy background, because that is how wargaming pieces are viewed. And if they're good enough under those conditions, they're done.

I decided to start with the most basic models, the plainest skin-clothes-guns-go jobs on the slate. Any teething troubles would thus be worked out on the lowest stakes models in the army and I'd have it all figured out by the time I got to the Warboss.


Everything went pretty well at first: skin and clothes looked decent, metals were a bit bright but that's what you get with a white undercoat. It was the black trim that destroyed me. Normally I avoid high contrast colourschemes, especially on simple models without the eyeblinding level of detail that hides messy brushwork. Messy brushwork like the kind I always sink to when I'm working on more than a couple of models at a time. I couldn't get away with it here and at this stage I was feeling a bit grim.

Fortunately, Ork Flesh Wash hides a multitude of sins. Once everything had a good layer of ink on it I liked the figures much more. It's darker than I remember, though (or it might be that I'm using the tail end of a pot I bought in 1996). I have a whole bunch of different greens to play around with and I might introduce another stage to the process on the next unit, or start with a bolder basecoat.

Detail work, such as it is, involves teeth, eyes, and glowy bits. I'm a great believer in the "bases, faces and blades" approach to figure painting: the eye is drawn to those areas, so if they look all right the rest can afford to be a bit chod. The Ork Flesh Wash really worked against me here and it took a few coats of brown to get the mouths properly basecoated. That might be another argument in favour of a base/wash/light drybrush approach on the next unit. I'll try it out and if it looks good I'll go back and redo these.

Classic Goblin Moot Green bases and flock to finish, of course. I don't normally do this sort of thing, but with a project like this it'd be rude not to. I am going to have to work on that skin recipe though, I have a nasty feeling I've used exactly the same green as the bases and not realised. Heigh ho: I shall take a pop at the 'Moons with mohawks next month and see what can be done about that, assuming I don't get distracted painting... new figures. You know. Still in production.

Bad Moon Boyz Mob

10 Boyz: 8 with bolters, 2 with heavy plasma guns. 180 points. A decent start.

25 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting through the month! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lissanne. The next ones will be better. Or at least I'll enjoy them more.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks man. It's strange but I think I'll get used to it again. Eventually.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Welcome, my son. Welcome to the machine...

      Delete
  4. Good job! I'd be happy with those :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dude! That's reassuring - it's one thing for me to tell myself they're OK but hearing it from other people doesn't hurt.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on getting back on the horse - painter's block can be awful. I have a real soft spot for these old RT Orks - they and my plastic Imperial Guard had many a scrap back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee! I had some of those plastic Guard way back when too, they were the Traitors in my old Lost and Damned army before that got car-booted...

      Delete
  6. Nice job, and you certainly beat the the pre-teen painting benchmark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brendan! I was feeling a bit demoralised until I found that one and went "no, I'm not THAT far gone..."

      Delete
  7. I like it, good job seeing it through. Hopefully I see you on the other side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your "bases, faces, blades" strategy worked very well. And I like how the ork flesh wash turned out. Maybe a lighter base color might be an alternate to extra drybrushing?

    Sorry, I can't get on board with goblin (or whatever) green bases. I'll always be a heretic among oldhammerers on that topic and have to give everyone a hard time about it. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm thinking some of the newfangled Waaagh! Flesh might be worth a go. Although that is apparently a "Dry" paint, for drybrushing one presumes, so we shall see how it behaves under pressure.

      I am normally right with you in regards to green bases and the things they do to a colourscheme. My favourite models I've ever done are the Night Lords whose bases pull colours down from the figure themselves; they look complete, harmonious, unified, dare I say artistic.

      Delete
    2. >Although that is apparently a "Dry" paint, for drybrushing one presumes, so we shall see how it behaves under pressure.

      In my experience (not with that colour admittedly, a much lighter one); not well. Like dried up cottage cheese.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad I came back to check these comments again! I've been knocking around with a few drybrush paints and while I think the comparison to cottage cheese holds up, I am... partly happy with the results?

      Delete
  9. >There's no point in comparing what I do to what the others do

    Completely agree. It can be hard not to compare oneself to others, and demoralising when you do. In my own case; even comparing the me of now to the me of 15 years ago is hard, because he would have chucked 90% of my work in the bin with the other 10% hidden at the back of units. No more 'Best Painted Army' awards for me. Now, or in the future. But that's OK.

    But I think you have the right tack. Personally I think the Orks look really good any you're on to a good recipe for completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that. Every so often I compare what I'm doing now to the Warmachine figures I did in my prime, and that Jon wouldn't be having with anything this Jon has phoned in. But to hell with him, he's gone now and we're not going to get him back.

      These Orks will certainly be done, that much we can say of them. And with a move outside my comfort zone, that's all one can expect.

      Delete
  10. Nice start to a return to painting (Apart from goblin green bases 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, the spectre is being exorcised on this army. I'm going back to my usual black rims on all my other stuff!

      Delete

Search This Blog