Thursday, February 25, 2021

Jaeckel's Dwarfs - Rank & File II - The pikemen (132 points)

For this second month, my initial plan was to paint the dwarfs of the MB1 box as is, using a very Swiss color scheme, white and red. But I've learnt two things from my unit of halberdiers: red is not an easy color, and the black & yellow couple works quite well. I have therefore opted for pikemen from the BlackHorns clan, whose coat of arms shows a black auroch's head on a yellow background... yep, you've probably recognized the coat of arms of the Canton of Uri. 

Once decided for Ur... sorry BlackHorns colors, something I couldn't avoid was the famous hornblower, wearing the bull outfit!

Luzerner Schilling - Detail of page 74

My first attempt is a conversion from the hornblower of the MM11 command group: I have simply swapped the original instrument for a bretonnian bit, and added two horns stolen from a Chaos Marauder. 


The second model is based on an MB1 pikeman: I have trimmed down his hat, given him horns (again from a Marauder's helm) and greenstuff ears, and equipped him with a small horn (another bretonnian bit). Et voilà!

Standard bearers are probably the most time consuming models in a regiment, and this one was no exception. Starting point:

Chronicon Helvetiae Part I - Page 230

And final result:

 
Another idea I found in the illustrated chronicles Luzerne Schilling is based on the following picture:

Luzerne Schilling - Page 123

Not sure of what these hairy men are supposed to be, but the beards tinted in the colors of the Cantons is a nice touch I had to try... with mitigated results I would say.


Nothing much to write about the other models:







My second rank:


And the full unit:

So, 10 pikemen with musician and standard bearer make 132 points...

I'll see if I can make more points next month!

24 comments:

  1. Once again, absolutely gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant work as usual, the highlighting on the black cloth is so smooth! And I'm guessing those hairy men in the Luzerne shilling are Woodwoses - heraldic wildmen who were popular as supports for coats-of-arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great look to those little fellas'

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me want to quit painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. Any marauder dwarf in your pile of unpainted lead? :o)

      Delete
  5. So niceeeee, as usual. Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely and utterly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outstanding minis as always. Love the bull guy and the tinted beards to break repeated sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not totally convinced by the result, but it was worth a try.

      Delete
  8. Great looking minis! I love seeing your source material

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, adapting these dwarfs to the old swiss confederacy is quite fun and interesting. I read a lot to find inspiration :)

      Delete
  9. Superb as always! I love the fact that the historical musician and his bull costume are almost a more fantastical element than the fantasy dwarves are - his influence certainly spices the unit up! I think the ears you added to the chap with the pike really look the part!

    The standard is looking great - lovely contrast on those yellows! Do you scuplt the tassels on by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and nothing sculpted on the standard, it comes from one of the imperial plastic sprues (can't remember if it's from the handgunners or from the swordsmen)

      Delete
  10. I always love seeing your work dude! Your painting is inspiring and I love how you do the "Rackham" style basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, Rackham / Confrontation style has always been an inspiration for NMMs and basing

      Delete
  11. So good! I'm loving the historical vibe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet work as always coming from you. Thank you for the eye candy. I regularly come back to your spearmen and hallebardiers units from your Empire army for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog