Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Matthew Street and the Tale of OWAC Dwarf Failure (continued)

I think we've been here before.

"Street will upset someone...Street will combine short vowels and harsh consonants into swear-words which aren't suitable for Oldhammer under-fourteens and make them cry...Street will paint a banner of a politician with bad hair in keeping with Oldhammer's tradition of political satire that will be reported by grown-up babies as hate-speech when he forgets to snowflake pixelate it..."

But hey, no-one can argue that any of that stuff won't be fun.

Covid has caused us all a lot of upheaval over the last 2 years. The same nonsense I had last year is the same I have this. We are still not in a new house and we are still cooped up in our old place with half of my stuff either in the new place or in storage.

So last year I tried to get a whole bunch of my pre-slotta dwarfs painted for the OWAC. 

It didn't work out quite the way I planned. 

Mainly because I didn't read the rules properly and spent my wildcard month painting up a rather large addition to my baggage train, not realising that this was my rest month.

So anyway...Puff and Slash will be the first order of the day.

Sgt. Borri McCockinner and the Longpoles

How about something smaller:

I'm looking at many of the units I failed to even prep last year.

Just to make it a proper challenge I haven't even assembled anything yet. everything is still in bits, untrimmed, unfiled.

Every unit needs at least a bit of conversion including all the banner poles.

Brilliant. 

"THE BLACK BAND"

x21 Hammerers. Puff and Slash Two-Handed Swordsmen.


x10 Crossbows. The second ten of the "Flash Harrys".

x20 Elite Marauder Dwarfs. 

(Possibly) x20 of the long promised Wayne England tribute unit.



x4 Command. Chopping up that standard bearer so I can get a bigger banner pole in that hand. Those who know - know where those helmet wings are going.



(Or possibly) x20-40 Norse Dwarfs. Selected out of these.



Hoping to make it to the end this year even if it's just 40 rank & file and the command.

I don't need to make a lead offering to the overlord as I offer lots and lots of money in the form of artwork prizes. If you get me it means you didn't win. So there.


Stonewall Street is a failed Rock Star; failed professional footballer; failed professional cricketer; failed comic book artist; failed artist; failed poet; failed author; below average miniature painter; failed actress; reasonably decent management accountant and all-round Facebook agitator. He lives in the shadow of Heathrow's north runway in a slum that real estate agents describe as "vibrant". Last year he added "failed OWAC Challenger to that list. If his parents loved him they'd make better voting choices.

All the best everyone.

20 comments:

  1. Courage: a dwarf has never been seen who, in the face of failure, does not turn it into healthy resentment and desire for revenge! We cheer for your army!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wizard with frog. I flipping love that frog.
    Good luck with that throng of the mountains best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. C'mon. Noone missed me. The only people that ever missed me were the IRA!

      Delete
  4. Nice to see you're back Matthew, hope to see you and your little fellas soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to remember Mrs Douglas after the last time I was at your gaff saying if I ever went near your whiskey again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to these guys, I admire your banner-work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned then my friend as I intend to make several miniature versions of renaissance art as banners simply to see how far I can push freehanding - and see how far my magnifier can take me lol.

      Delete
  7. A lovely selection of really old, not so old and new classic minis. And the Wizard of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to Part Deux! Loads of cool models

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not long now to the new year starts in the city that defines time for the entire world and which all other nations have to abide by.

      That's proper time minus 4 to minus 8 in the Americas.

      You're welcome ;-)

      Delete
  9. Classic dwarfs are great. Are you doing yellow/black for the whole army, or just the puff/sash ones? I took a look at your other blog - and your artwork is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Benjamin, no there won't be a colour scheme outside of the units.

      Historically I believe the "black band" wore predominantly black armour and clothes with crimson flashes so one unit will be based on them.

      The hammerers will be blue and red to match my warmaster unit.

      I've also got a unit of thunderers which I'll do a mixed almost zouave finish on.

      The crossbows will be red and white as they are half of a unit I have already painted 10 chaps for :-)

      Delete
    2. That's really varied - the individualised colour schemes will let the distinct look of each unit shine! The zouave thunderers will be great, gotta love red pants!

      Delete
  10. Best of luck.Better than last year, anyway (and god knows I know how to set a low bar in the OWAC).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about this angst ridden rambling. Your Dwarves are always a thing of renaissance beauty, so any you get finished will be a treat. Stay naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reckon you should do it this year bud - I mean Dwarves are half the lead to paint anyway ;)

    Looking forward to a healthy dose of polemical (if that's possible?) banners, Zouaves and of course you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. good luck! may this time be the good one ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog