Monday, January 31, 2022

Byron's Empire Archers - Rank and File Month (145 pts)

This month I am sorta phoning it in. I have barely crossed my toe over the 10 model minimum. 

This month has given me a lot of insight into how to make my color scheme work and how not to make it work. The first two models didn't have neutral cloth colors so they weren't great. I've since added two neutral cloth colors and futzed with different ways of coloring the models. 

I am still floundering behind the lore of my army. I know that I want them to be goose themed - I sculpted various banner tops for the minis but have opted to have all of them share the goose top on all of their banner poles. So, expect heraldic geese on future banners. I still need to come up with names for all of the characters and the regiments. 

Unofficial bonus points for silly made up empire people names that I could steal for my army's lore. 

But, for now, I present 10 Archers and a hero:

The archers are pretty straight forward. They are in a variety poses - bending their bows, resting, reaching for arrows, aiming, loosing etc. I sculpted them to have that sorta generic medieval German vibe like the old citadel models. I referenced a lot of old block prints and illustrations from children's fairytales and then blurred aesthetics from a roughly 400 year period. 




And, the hero is meant to depict a prince-like character. He wears a cloak and a circlet crown. It's hard to portray youth in a mini, so I tried to convey his character by making him look ill-prepared or scared and nervously reaching for his sword.  As a point of tiny pride when I took the pics of the hero, my phone camera did the auto-focus face recognition thing on his face.  





Also I did this one spearman as a color scheme test

Points total for the month:

Hero         65 points

Archers    80 points

Total: 145 points

13 comments:

  1. Hey, you did more then me in the actual challenge, meeting all the requirements, well done. They also look pretty damned good, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the colors you chose for the quartering look work well together, and with the models themselves - the overall appearance is so evocative of "medieval European archers", it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Plus you made your own figs, didn't you, that is not phoning it in! You know, there are goose barnacles, so you could always have a Barnacle Bill...just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great colours, and you'll probably find it easier to paint more, more quickly now you've settled into them a bit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ace stuff Byron!
    The colors you chose look great, and I love the style of your figures, absolute excellent sculpting sir!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are spectacular, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making your own miniatures for the OWAC is some next level shit! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful, Byron! Straight out of a picture book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, there is no 'phoning it in' when you are sculpting your own minis and are thinking about amusing goose themed names for your heroes. I smell proper Oldhammer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seconding the numerous comments lauding these - sculpting your own is amazing! They're looking good :) Robert the Goose?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd definitely say that, having sculpted these and the rest of your army yourself, you get a pass for "only" painting twelve of them! Lovely job too!

    Humorous names? Hans Von Gans (Hans of the Goose), Erik Gänserich (Erik Gander)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colour scheme. The weathered look gives the impression of a once grand army down in its heels a bit after campaigning.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog