Monday, January 30, 2023

ZeroTwentythree's January Skaven (130 pts)

January Skaven: Clanrats (Rank & File)

As with previous projects, I wanted to start off this year's Skaven project with the backbone of the army. If a cowardly Skaven army can even be said to have a backbone. "The core troops upon which the army is built" is perhaps a better description? No, not the slaves. The clanrats!

I had ambitious plans for a full regiment of 30 clanrats, including standard bearer and musician, for the first month of the challenge. But life has been busy and I've spent a considerable amount of time away from home. About midway through the month I revised my goal to get 20 of the 30-strong regiment painted, and I managed to finish them just in time!


Here's the full batch of 20. All metal, and with quite a few duplicates as expected. I'm going for a dark & dirty look. Although they seem to have a lot of red-tones, I'm imaging them as not seeing that themselves, as I understand that rats are colorblind to red. So these Skaven may think they are mostly dressed in stealthy black gear, which is only half correct.



To add some variety, I made some minor conversions, such as the two figures on the left. One is a simple sculpted hood, the other is just repositioning the spear arm so the weapon looks "shouldered" rather than held forward.



It's not visible, but the clanrat in the center was broken, missing it's shield hand. Nothing a little bit of sloppy putty-work couldn't fix.






These are the remaining 10 figures that didn't get painted in January. As you can see, I am using brown primer, as this has worked well for me with Skaven in ages past. I depend on the brown primer and a couple of black/brown washes to tone down a lot of the color, tie all of the figures together, and keep them looking like verminous troublemakers who crawl through tunnels and sewers.

While most of the figures are 2nd/3rd edition, I do have a few "newer" figures hidden in the mix, such as this standard bearer.

These "remainders" will still get painted at some point in the challenge. I had other plans for February, but maybe I will switch that up so I can complete the regiment before moving on.


January Points:

130 pts        20 Clanrats with Spears

130 pts         TOTAL

9 comments:

  1. Great start! I always love your tarnished metals, and it doesn't hurt that the dull red / blue grey combo is a favourite of mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW !!! They are incredible !! They are all different but they look united too... amazing job ! I love the deep red you used on the shields and coats, what is it please ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking pack of rats! I love the colour vision thought process behind the use of black and red

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colourful, but still have that air of scum about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful! And 20 is still a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great paint, and the vermin tide is off to a great start. I think the basing is excellent, and I love the red+black thing!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog