Monday, January 1, 2024

Skål's Veterans of the Long War (Skåls Intro)


This is my sixth OWAC and I have learned a few things along the way. I know that I need to have options for things to paint as I get distracted easily. This OWAC I will be painting up a force that I can use in 2nd or 3rd edition 40k. My inspiration comes from some of the amazing books that I have poured over since they came out oh so long ago. 

Some of the squads in this force will look like they have been fighting for 10,000 years since the Heresy was quashed. Other squads will have a more Hersey look to them as if they have been in the warp and come out the other side with only a few years between the fall and the present 40k timeline.

So without further ado here is a look at the models I will be picking from and painting up over the course of this OWAC. I know I have way to many squads but I know how I am. I could get hit with a painting vibe and roll through a bunch of models.


First up is a unit of Tzeentch Flamers and a Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer of Tzeentch (He looks like he's a Fun Guy).


Next up is a unit of World Eaters and an Icon Bearer of Khorne. This squad might get a little bloody.

I really love the Nurgle sculpts and I knew that Plaguebearers had to be included in this force. Oh those nasty Plagueswords are killers of mortals.



This is the Renegade squad that I will talk about a little more when I cover them in my monthly. I love these sculpts.


Next up is a very corrupt Death Guard unit. Note they are in the proper number for Papa Nurgle. Squads like this are one of the reasons I have a few "extra" units in my selection pool. I want to make sure I hit my minimum troop of 10 but I also want to pay the proper respect to the Chaos gods.


The plan is to make this a Sons of Horus squad who stepped out of the warp fresh from a battle during the time of Hours. I really like the idea of the warp playing with the various squads and pulling them from different time periods.


Remember how I mentioned 3rd edition? Well here is a little "only a mother could love these ugly babies" squad of Obliterators that will count as Chaos Terminators in 2nd edition. These are truly ugly sculpts and the next versions were so much bulkier and better looking. I remember having six of these so I figured I would try to include six in this force (currently only have five, so I am hunting for the sixth).


Here is my selection of Leaders/HQ for this force as well as my Chaos Dreadnought. I had to include Kharn in this force as I ran a lot of Khorne Berserkers when I played 3rd edition. I also have a Nurgle Chaos Marine Sorcerer and a Nurgle Daemon to round out my choices. The Chaos Dreadnought is from Hybrid Miniatures and is an absolute beast standing next to the other miniatures. 


The Classic Tzeentch marines from Rogue Trader have so much character that I knew I needed to include them in this force. The idea of bright pink and blue for a color pallet sounds good in my head so why not.


Noise Marines are run in pretty small squads in 2nd and up to ten models in 3rd. I figure I can run either one or two squads of these depending on the edition. I'm not concerned with what the models are armed with as I will make sure to designate who has what during games. I will be using the Rogue Trader Classic Noise Marine to act as a champion for this squad once he arrives.


To all of the Veterans of previous OWAC's its great to see you all again for another six months of painting. To all of the new hopeful's my advice is don't look the Veterans in the eyes till you have survived one OWAC and always remember "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.'

Till next month.


SKÅL 



 

7 comments:

  1. A load of great miniatures there. Though I know what you mean as regards the Gary Morely Oblitorators. Normally a GM fan but those are certainly...something.

    Looking forward to seeing your army progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I may struggle with those ugly bastards.

      Delete
  2. Great looking mix of multi-edition gems. Great army overall and I want to see those lovely tzeench renegades and probably steal some ideas from your noise marines (I want to add some of their bits for a HH Emperor Children as kakophony!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of the Noise marines being primarily black with the trim in pinks, yellows and blues. We shall see if I can pull it off.

      Delete
  3. Awesome mix of minis 😉 Looking forward to seeing them all come together - and especially as I have similar planz! Good luck with the paint! 💪

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots to love here! Great mix of minis and I really dig your concept of time warped squads, and a good idea to use Obliterators as proxy Terminators (TBH I didn't much like the 2nd Edition era Chaos Terminator sculpts, so I think you have gained playability and lost nothing in terms of sculpts)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog