Thursday, February 1, 2024

Jaakko and Forin - Rank & File month #1

We have always been a race of traders. It is natural to us that we should trade the fighting skills of our Brotherhoods. As well as bringing us profit, it also allows our youngsters to gain experience and honour, and to keep alive the skills which our strongholds may one day need for their own defence.

- Lord Grumni

Bruggen Stronghold


Here we are again! The first batches of painted miniatures are finally emerging from the piles of lead and we can feel the pressure of the challenge. Before I show you what I have been up to this January I will explain some details of this project very shortly. This brotherhood uses the runes of the dwarves of Erebor and these two quotes from the most revered and mythical tome, Warhammer 40.000 Compendium, serve as my guidelines in this project:

Squats are particularly fond of weaponry. This fondness is reinforced by the hostile environments in which they are usually raised, where dangerous flora and fauna, and the constant threat of Ork and Eldar raids, encourages even the youngest of Squats to pack a few hand guns and something loud and heavy on his bike.

Squats prefer muted colours reminiscient of the rocks and sands of their Home Worlds: browns, greys and greens are popular in varying shades and mixtures, as are black, white and deep red - it is common for seams and piping to be picked out in a contrasting colour.

And that's it.

 


I managed to paint one Combat Squad, four Brotherhood Weapon Teams with mole mortars and one Weapon Team with a thudd gun this month. In addition to the miniatures I managed to finish two terrain pieces built from junk and bits.

 

TROOPS: 

 

 

A Combat Squad honouring the banner of the lost Stronghold of Dargon. Armed with lasguns, laspistols and a lascannon. For those not familiar with the runes of the dwarves of Erebor I can reveal the motto of Forin's Brotherhood: Our Love is Vengeance. The banner bearer was a broken miniature missing his original head and standard when I got him. I will make the banner a bit more wavy after these photos.

 



A battery of four Brotherhood Weapon Teams with mole mortars led by Sgt Bylcow.

 


 
A Brotherhood Weapon Team with a thudd gun.
 
This month in points:
 
 
I will not be able to field all these weapon teams with a single Brotherhood, but don't worry, I'm working on a solution for this. For old followers of the challenge: the model count has been revised to include support weapons, war machines and such.


TERRAIN:

I started with something relatively small for this month. These terrain pieces could be used as objectives, possibly with functions tied to a scenario, or just regular terrain pieces providing cover. Next months terrain will involve mainly painting it and is thematically tied to the mole mortars and other heavy weapons of the project (as per Warhammer 40.000 Compendium, page 94).
 
 
Transplanetary ion flux modulator built from a case I bought super glue in, weapon bits and an electrical cable made of green stuff.
 

Thoreau oscillating ion flux containment scorcher built from another super glue case, bits, rivets and cables made from green stuff.


SECRET SANTA:

Last but not least is the model that is to be sent to another participant of this challenge as a Secret Santa style surprise. I managed to pick a model that is from the same faction as the receiving persons project this year.

 
 

 
A sneaky dark elf trying to sneak away from my collection.

And thats it, I will get back to painting some Squats. Until next month!

20 comments:

  1. Great start! Love the artillery sgt - seems like a jovial fellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had to get the spot. I have a feeling that he enjoys observing things getting blown to pieces

      Delete
  2. That banner is AWESOME! Is that Ash from Guerrilla Miniature Games? Cause if it's not, it sure as hell looks a LOT like him! Great painting for this month on the Squats. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Early on when planning this owac I knew I wanted a modification of the classic Necromundian banner with a squat with sunglasses in stead of the saint in the original. I didn't think of Ash while painting but can see the likeness now that you said it. Lets see if I have time to paint some more banners

      Delete
    2. The banner is a self-portrait I think

      Delete
    3. I need to grow my beard a bit before the Ansell -pose, but you might be onto something

      Delete
  3. Perfection! These squats are absolutely brilliant. I love the way you restored the standard bearer. Also, extra marks for the landscaping and terrain - everything looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love it when I find broken miniatures as I don't like to convert old lead if it's still untouched. I've found some nice ones that are waiting for OWAC 8 too

      Delete
  4. Great job, love the off-white, I find that hard to get right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoy weathering over white so I figured that the pain of painting something white would pay itself back in the end

      Delete
  5. Love that banner, and those terrain pieces are wonderfully done. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the terrain was a bit of a jump into unknown as I haven't done much of it lately. It does make you look at things a bit differently. Yesterday I was cutting soda cans for upcoming months

      Delete
  6. Brilliant start - I love the choice and execution of the white, particularly on that Thudd Gun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm quite happy with how they turned out too

      Delete
  7. Great start! Bold choice of a grey / white as the main colour, but it works really well. The splashes of colour really stand out. Love the details like the empty Thudd Gun shells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you noticed the shells - I have some unused ones of the same caliber that might find themselves in and supply dump if I have time to make one

      Delete
  8. What a great start! Banners and terrain already is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to have little bit of variation within every month. This way I hope to keep the painting and modelling mojo until the finish line

      Delete
  9. Great work! Your choice of muted colours works really well, especially in picking out the details.
    You've inspired me to start prepping my own little Squat force!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really looking forward to seeing pictures of your squats!

      Delete

Search This Blog