Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Jaakko and Forin - Rank & File month #2

The Squats have advanced our cause considerably over the millenia. On no other group of worlds has so much Dark Age technology survived, nor so much expertise been preserved.

- Morgin Harad, Adeptus Mechanicus

February was a good month for hobbying. I had some days off and so managed to paint some stretch goals in addition to a small buffer that might come in handy later.

I finished one Combat Squad, a Squat Adeptus Mechanicus, two Tarantulas (to give options for last months Weapon Teams), a Commissar advisor to the Warlord and two Guild Weapon Teams with multi-meltas. In addition to these miniatures I made some craters for the terrain pledge.

TROOPS:

A Combat Squad with a heavy bolter lead by Colt Stoner.

A Squat Adeptus Mechanicus and two Tarantulas, one with twin lascannons and one with twin multi-meltas. I have been acquiring more models for the project, including this squat and multi-melta Tarantula.

A Commissar who serves as an imperial advisor to the Warlord. According to the rules he cannot shoot squats so I think I need some Imperial Guard allies.

 

Two Guild Weapon Teams with multi-meltas. I started batch painting all the bikes but quickly realised that they should be painted one by one. Still, I managed to finish two of them and there is definitely more to come.

I showed the finished bikes to my brother and we got into a headlight discussion. The middle lamps might be meant to have headlight blackout covers. I thought that it was just glass and painted them yellow. So, I have a decision to make before painting more. I might a) paint them metal, b) fill the middle with greenstuff or c) let them be. Feel free to advise me on what to do.



This month in points:


 

TERRAIN:

I wanted February to be a bit easier month, just in case. So instead of building something from scratch I got some old Citadel craters. They are thematically important in this project as mole mortars and some of my other heavy weapons will form them in battle.

So, it was a pretty easy month for terrain. I glued the individual craters onto plasticard, gave them some PVA and sand and painted them in the same way as all the bases.

SECRET SANTA:

This month I was in the receiving end of OWAC Secret Santa and got mail from Pokrzyw. I loved his story behind choosing Redugal Ironbeard as his model and so had to dig out my old dwarf army for the welcoming ceremony.

Redugal Ironbeard

This army is an eternally ongoing project with earliest models painted in the 90s. Maybe one year OWAC will help me finish it.

That's it, until next month!

20 comments:

  1. Great work this month. I definitely think the lights are Blackout lights. That would be a sweet opportunity to use some fluorescent paint to make the light pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I painted a test lamp with chrome coloured cover and it really could use something to make it pop. Which fluorescent paints would you recommend?

      Delete
  2. What's not to like about vertically challenged space bikers? Great job on the painting. Would love to see more of the Dwarf army too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the bikers are a lot of fun! Slightly labourious to paint with many nooks and crannies, but nice to look at when they are ready. I hope the dwarf army will have it's turn in a future OWAC

      Delete
  3. Great stuff. Wow, that biker at the top has Seen Too Much, hasn't he? He either needs a couple of strong drinks or to knock off the booze altogether, not sure which! :)

    The trikes look fantastic, I wouldn't have known about the headlight covers so now I have been educated, thanks. And the vacc-formed craters are the height of nostalgia, nice to see those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I tell you, war is Hell"

      I didn't like the sculpt too much before I painted it and favoured other bikers over it while collecting them. Now it's probably my favourite one in the range

      Delete
  4. These are looking awesome! Really enjoying your colouring and your painting is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll do my best to paint many more!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic addition to your forces! I love the trikes especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I got into painting them as I think the trikes will be lot of fun to play with too. I hope to get them on the tabletop soon

      Delete
  6. Something I always appreciate is a painters ability to work with dark colours yet still pick out detail - those being too key factors in my enjoyment of RT era WH40K, and I think you are definitely doing that with these Squats.

    Playable terrain, like craters for armies with artillery, is a very smart move too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel more at home with a bit darker colours. Got a bit traumatized by the red era, I suppose

      Delete
  7. Phenomenal work - I love the eyes on the driver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to paint a squat without sunglasses for a change!

      Delete
  8. Those craters are a blast from the past! Nice to see them get put to use.
    Great job on everything you delivered this month! You really picked out a load of detail and character, while keeping the colour scheme of the force consistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of those craters, a few upside down yoghurt cups and fantasy battle terrain was what we used for Rogue trader terrain as kids. That's why I really wanted to include these and I'm collecting yoghurt cups at the moment

      Delete
  9. Wow. Like opening up an old White Dwarf. Absolutely fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought I had written a response earlier, but it isn't here. Anyway, having ones work and old White Dwarfs even mentioned in the same sentence is a great compliment! You made my day

      Delete
  10. Working with black, and then white as well, and making them both coherent is super tough, and you're doing an amazing job!
    I wouldn't have known about the light covers, but if you're looking for fluro recommendations, I think I would go for a fluro pink base, regular yellow over the top, then some fluro yellow. I've had a little success with a small blue glaze over the top of everything, but I think I was lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments and recommendations! I will definitely look into them. I might not be able to source the paints before I should paint the next bikes but I can always finish the lights at a later stage

      Delete

Search This Blog