Friday, October 27, 2017

Ben's High Elf Warhost

Hello,

I'm painting High Elves for the Army Challenge. I have already painted 1.5K - 2K points worth of figures, but most of them are the newer plastics from when I first returned to the hobby over 3 years ago. In this time, I have collected several older Elves that will eventually make their way into the army replacing most of the plastic. This challenge is a great opportunity for an Oldhammer injection to my Elf army.

My 6 month challenge will include:


  • Marauder High Elf War Griffon with a bad ass hero
  • 5 Shore Riders (+1 Shock Elite) with spears, bows, light armor and shields
  • 20 Guard (+1 Shock Elite) with halberds and heavy armor
  • 10 Warriors with double handed swords and heavy armor
  • 10 Wardancers -- 5 with double handed weapons & 5 with light armor and shields
  • Scouts just in case I need a few more points and skirmishing units are fun

Marauder High Elf war Griffon and a handful of scout figures.

Five Shore Rider cavalry and ten Wardancers. Looking forward to painting these guys.

10 double handed swordsmen and 20 halberdiers. Both units will have heavy armor and a hero.

My painted force of High Elves to this point.

I haven't made a point-by-point list yet, but considering a Griffon is 200 points and Elf heroes are close to 100 for a level 10, this group is at least 1000 points.

I'm dreading assembling the Griffon -- the amount of Green Stuff it's going to need is daunting, and this kind of "hobbying" is definitely not my forte. The Wardancers and Shore Riders are classic figures. I'm eager to paint them, as they will add some needed "Oldhammer" to my army.

I have already based and primed the swordsmen and halberdiers. Both units will have musicians and standard bearers. The figures making up these units are a bit modern for some, I like their uniformity and they paint up quickly. The scouts might not make the cut, depending on the point value of everything else. I have found skirmishers armed with missile weapons to be well worth the investment in 3rd edition so we will see how it all works out over the next few months.

I'm looking forward to getting started and seeing everyone's work as well. This challenge has some great armies getting lined up on paint tables and some talented painters painting them.

7 comments:

  1. I am looking for see them painted! I always like HEs, and I should even have a small army somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and just noticed the zoat among your painted HE! Very interesting addition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like elves... they are tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your new stuff is half as good as your existing this will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Great to see these older Elves. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stuff! I'm building up my WFB4 HE army at the moment, so I've got a lot of love for this project. Looking forward to seeing how that Griffon comes out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog