Monday, November 20, 2017

Qrab's Chaos: Where's the Beef?

My first contribution to the Old World Army Challenge consists of one* model: the mighty Deathsteer weighing in at 190 points. There's a part of me that feels painting one model was cheating, but given my November work schedule and the fact I haven't painted a model in over two years, I needed to ease back into things. This particular model is Minotaur Lord Body 2 with Head 2 (Hooded). The details of this model are pretty interesting what with the blunt sword, bionic left leg, and flayed skin. Combined with the gimp mask style hood, this model could easily fit into a Slaaneshi warband.


Here's the beef!



When it came time to paint the model, I decided on a limited color palette that still tied into the unit I painted two years ago. I also wanted to highlight the mortified skin, so I used Vallejo Model Color (VMC) Deck Tan as the base color and then applied a series of glazes/highlights. For the bruising I used a variety of (the recently discontinued) Citadel Washes.  The fur was painted in a similar manner, starting with a slightly different color base color (VMC Pale Sand) and adding chestnut ink to the glaze to provide a little more contrast.

That has to hurt.

When I was prepping the model I realized it was wearing gloves, so I decided that they, the hood, and the banana hammock would all be black leather. To do this I started with a base color that was a mix of VMC Flat Earth and Chaos black. VMC Flat Flesh was added to base color to create a color for highlighting. Finally, I mixed Chaos Black with Reaper Master Series (RMS) Sapphire Blue to create a color to shade the recessed areas. I'm afraid my improvised photo set up & iPhone camera don't really do a good job of showing the subtle shading & highlights.


Come get some!
I am, and forever will be, a true metallic painter. However, I've begun to incorporate some of the non-metallic painting technique when I do paint metal items on a model. I also think that Citadel Boltgun Metal is the best base coat with Mithril Silver the best highlight. Between the base coat and highlight stage, I use a series of glazes made from mixing Tamiya Clear Orange, Chestnut Ink, matte and glaze mediums, water, and a very small amount of Chaos Black. Depending on the effect I'm going for, I highlight with wither Boltgun or Mithril between the glazes to build up some texture.

*I also painted five bases for the models I (currently) plan to paint next month.

10 comments:

  1. No one would believe you haven't painted a figure in two years!

    A great piece, and I love how all the colours, including the base, blend together. Awesome start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Back when I was painting regularly I kept a pretty detailed painting journal. It came in handy when I started this challenge because I could refer to some old recipes.

      Delete
  2. Nothing like a Minotaur in a banana-hammock.

    Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Part of the appeal of the older models are the quirky design decisions like this.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely fantastic work. I think the amount of work you put into is definitely worthy of its own post. My figures look like they're finger painted by comparison. Can't wait to see next months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. Don't sell yourself short on your painting.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This looks great! I did not know this model, it is very cool!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog