Tuesday, January 29, 2019

AdamH's Brets in le house! (215 pts)

I made it!!

You might look at this small volume of models and think to yourself “Adam, that isn’t exactly a lot of models you have painted there, I do that every week” and I would say to you “well that is kind of rude but I get what you are saying, that isn’t a lot of models for a month’s work.” However, what you don’t know about me is that I am an extremely slow painter. What you see below is the result of me painting at least one hour a day for the last month, frequently more on the weekends. I know they might not look good enough for that sort of time but here we are.


For me this represents a huge step towards finally having a fully painted army, which in my on-and-off 25 years of collecting would be a first. If I can keep this pace going, I am hopeful to finally have something to bring to the table that I am proud of.

Soppy sentiments aside this week I painted three Knights of the Realm and six Mounted Yeomen. The Knights I have kept very simple intentionally as I have never painted anything similar before so I wanted to get the basics down first before trying anything more complex. The plan is to do at least another month of these basic guys before I try anything more interesting pattern wise. That said I tried to make them look nice with some bright colours and simple patterns, following the suggestions in the 5th Edition Bretonnian book of using combination colours of white or yellow and then another colour. Hopefully these look simple, yet striking.


Next was the six Mounted Yeomen, now with all the peasants in my army I am going to be painting them in these browns and greens as I imagine them all to be part of Bertrand’s band of brigands defending their land alongside the local nobility. To this end I used muted colours to represent the natural fabrics and sort-of camouflage that they would be using to stay hidden in the local woods and forests.


The very keen eyed amongst you may notice that a few details remain unpainted, such as the eyes on the Yeomen, this is deliberate as I am still getting back into the swing of painting and don’t want to push myself and end up ruining the figures. I plan to go back at the end of the challenge and tidy up these little details but for now at least they look OK at tabletop height.

So to sum up, this month I have submitted:

117 - 3x Knights of the Realm

98 - 6x Mounted Squires with bows and musician

For a total of 215 points.

To all my fellow participants I hope you are enjoying the challenge so far, it is great to see all of your fabulous models being shown and can’t wait to see what else is coming. To everyone else following along with us I hope you have enjoyed the show thus far!

-          AdamH

18 comments:

  1. Painting cavalry is never easy! It's my bane, so 9 of them in a month is nothing to scoff at!

    I loooove your Knights of the Realms. Fantastic transitions and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That counts as 18 models! Even though they are only 9 fielded. That is a great number!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Don't knock your own painting skills, that's some beautiful, clean painting. And like Lissanne said, it's like 18 minis - so a pretty hefty amount of work. Even more so when you're working with knights who each have unique colors/heraldry rather than uniform, repetitive color schemes and pallettes.

    I like that the challenge is a motivator, and I think it will be really satisfying having a beautiful (if this entry is any indication!) army at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding painting. I am in the same boat as you as far as collecting. I had a partial painted Wood Elf Army that I stripped and started fresh for this challenge.

    I love your color choices on your Knights and Squires. I will be following your blog to get inspiration for painting my own Bret force.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s obvious you’ve taken your time as they are bloody gorgeous! The colours are so warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work. And as others have also noted 9 cavalry figures in a month is nothing to scoff at. Pretty bloody good output if you ask me especially well painted figures like these

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good dude, let's keep it up so we can have that game in September

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning work Adam! The quality is always better then the output dont sweat it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they look good. You obviously put a lot of work into the squire's horses. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don’t sell yourself short as far as the number of models you painted this month. As others have said, cavalry are essentially two models for each base, so your output is very respectable. Especially with the quality of the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking models, I so wish I had Bretonians I am quite envious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are beautiful! Well worth every minute spent on them - and a higher model count in cavalry than I had overall!! Top stuff all round :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent! I am lookimg forward to see the whole force painted

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Love the colors and tones you used!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog