Thursday, July 4, 2019

Dave's Ancient Auxiliaries (303 pts)

Last month actually featured the last model in the core army of Kravag's Cairn Host. Since it was just a single model (and one on foot, no less!) I promised myself to produce a further detachment in the final month of the challenge to push the army over 1,000 points. I had many ideas about what to add... mummies could give me more heavy infantry, a chariot would add another war machine, ghouls would provide me with some faster troops for flanking maneuvers... even a monster would be a nice addition!

At the end of the day (or rather, the long, dark night!), I decided to make a practical choice. What the army really needed was more rank and file. A bit boring, but a more tactically sound decision to be sure. Behold, reinforcements for the army of the night!




So, what do we have here? Skeleton warriors with bows provide a much-needed asset in this army—more missiles! Of course, Skeletal bowmen are a bit rubbish... 10 points each for a BS 2, Strength 3 ranged attack... but I figure they can sit back on some hill behind the main lines and plink away at any annoying fast cavalry that are trying to take advantage of my army's sluggish pace. On top of that, we have thirteen more Skeleton warriors with spears, including a command team. Why thirteen? Because it is spooky of course! Well, to be honest I found thirteen more in my collection and decided to just paint them all at the same time. Together with the original nine spearmen, this makes 22 Skeleton warriors with spears. In reality, I will probably remove a handful of these guys to keep as reserves for when my wizards cast Raise The Dead during a battle... can never have too many extras! And yes, I did say wizards, plural. Now my Vampire Lord will have a little magical backup in the form of a lowly Necromancer. All told that amounts to:

Zaghuul the Necromancer ~ 68 pts
10x Skeleton Warriors (with Bows) ~ 100 pts
13x Skeleton Warriors (with Spears, Musician, Standard Bearer) ~ 135 pts

Which is the most models and most points I have ever painted in an OWAC challenge month! True, not terribly complicated models, but I'm a little proud of that nevertheless. Now tremble in fear, mortals, for the next post will reveal the entire army in all of its rotting glory! I said tremble! Zaghuul commands you!



5 comments:

  1. I tremble!

    Seriously though, nice work!

    RnF FTW. Sensible choice, always pays dividends in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who can fault a choice made based on playability? Good work all round :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very classic color choice, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice choices, I think skeletons are always a solid way to go... though I haven't been able to bring myself to bothering with archers. You're a more daring undead general than me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog