Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Brennan's January Post (240 Points)

Well, these have been different than the Slann I did last year!  The Slann were blue, with lots of earth tones and neat fabrics.  These dudes are all metal and hair.  I felt like I was painted the aged remains of a hair metal band....

Anyway, I'm trying to keep a couple of distinct colors as themes for this brigade, but you will forgive me if I refer to this collection of dwarf companies under one leader as a 'battle'...  It just seems proper.  In this case I chose to use a nice medium green and brighter light blue as contrasting colors.  I sprinkled in a few more tones as I worked through the figs, metal painted orange on a helmet as an example, to get some variety.  I wanted continuity but not a uniform.  These colors will repeat in a variety of ways throughout the battle.


What I like about the imperial style of Dwarves is that they have those nice surcoats on, which break up all the armor.  The problem with the Long Beards is that they have so much hair that it makes it hard to see the nicer designs on the surcoats, so I went for some nice taping on the edges.  It's much easier to see from the back.



I did the beards in a couple of different ways.  Sometimes I used just a multiple level dry brush and in other cases I used a couple rounds of inking with a dry brush.  Frankly, I think the results are similar, but I was hoping to get enough variety to create a slight visual variation to break-up the uniform aspect of the figures and the painting.

For January I did...

14 Long Beards with a Standard and a Musician which would be 240 points in 4th ed!

The astute may notice that I had planned to do 16 Long Beards but alas, when I did my count I failed to notice the two short beards that had snuck into the ranks....  They will just have to go somewhere else!

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful, these were the glory days of dwarfs. When a model was 75% beard and 25% nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! The banner turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonus points for painting your own banner! Looking sweet AF :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. really nice- the colours are great and that banner is lovely. Great start

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the shade of blue helps break up the "metal and hair" and the standard helps tie it all together.

    Normally I wouldn't be as fond of intense green bases. (I never got into the GW Goblin Green Cult) but in this case, I think that it works well to also add some color to the metal & hair. The bases (and use of blue ) also make me think of some of Ted Nasmith's Middle Earth paintings -- like the dwarfs are stepping right out of one of the battles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking banner and nice job on all those beards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like these - the colour scheme and banner are reminding me of the Pauline Baynes 1968 LOTR cover art. Bravo sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also the shields are great - simple but effective

      Delete
  8. These are my favourite dwarf models, love the paint job and love the throwback basing

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog