Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Jaeckel and the Lost Crusade - Month I (212 points)

All right, first month of the OWAC III, I knew that I could use the end of the winter break to paint my most populated unit:15 fools who gave up everything to follow Pieter the Pious.


Illustration by John Blanche

As mentioned in the introduction post, my plan for this challenge is to use a wide range of Citadel models that couldn't join Pfeildorf's troops. No feather or fancy clothes here, more the medieval kind, most of the time without any piece of armour and, when necessary, equiped with wooden shields (bought years ago to Hasslefree Miniatures and unfortunately, out of production now - yep, even the accessories are OOP here!).

In terms of colors, I've made tests on a first model, slightly modified by adding a candle on the helmet, something I had seen earlier on this Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay illustration:


The Watchman - Carrier art for WFRP 4th Edition

This very ordinary "Imperial Foot Soldier" (his official name) was painted using a limited palette composed of VMC Dark Sea Blue (highlighted by VGC Bonewhite), and a few brown, grey and beige tones. I've also tried to spare some time with very simple bases: a single layer of Agrellan Earth, highlighted with VMC Tan Yellow and then Pale Sand. As I was reasonably satisfied with this first trial, I've used again and again the same tones on too many models, giving something too regular for a bunch of zealots lost in Araby.


From left to right: Harwood, Mercenary, Imperial Foot Soldier, Ernst Stoutheart and Adolf

I've tried then to change the overall look by removing the Dark Sea Blue from my palette. And whenever possible, I've added some candles to illustrate their religious inclinations. Below a few pictures of my attempts:


Mercenary and Mercenary swordsman
Altdorf Axeman and Mercenary Captain
Gunther, Albrecht and Bardach
And finally, the command group:


Marauder Citizen CZ19, Sir Monne de la Monte and Harwood

And here are my fools! 







In terms of army points, we have:
- 12 Ersatzolders with shields and light armours: 12 x (5+1+2) = 96 points
- 1 standard bearer = 16 points
- 1 musician = 16 points
- Sir Monne de la Monte, Lvl 15 hero, with heavy armour and shield/holy book: 80 + 3 + 1 = 84 points
- Total for Month I: 212 points

24 comments:

  1. Simply stunnin'. Congrats on the bases - I thinks it's brave just laying down a flat surface, no rock or grass or whatever. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not entirely convinced by the result, but I needed to focus my time on the miniatures.

      Delete
  2. How do you make the candles,with wax drips? Are they scratch built or bought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scratch built with plastic rod and drips and flames made of green stuff

      Delete
  3. Lovely unit, full of character!! Keep'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well fuck it, I quit. I'm not putting my crap on the page with this Artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work. Great choice of minis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloody hell, you're good. These are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tres bien mon ami! As ever, just brilliant. The disconcerting thing is that this is your 'speed painting'..... and it's still lush!!! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that was my maximum. Keeping my sick daughter at home helped a lot :p

      Delete
  8. Excellent job, and those candles really do add a nice bit of character to the units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! More to come with the pilgrims (March or April)

      Delete
  9. Absolutely fantastic! The subtle colour pallete works brilliantly and those bases are just perfect to evoke the 'Lost in Araby' theme.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorites! These are just awesome. Keep them coming please :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great color palette, and your swords and armor are amazing. I also love the candles. Great looking regiment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning. These earthy color palettes always look so easy until I try them. Yours are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. absolute masterclass, as usual. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Outstanding! Great selection of figures! Those bases really bring out the Araby feel and highlight the tones and detail you worked into the figures. Love the NMM work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such gorgeous minis matched with equally gorgeous painting. always a pleasure to see your work mate.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog