Monday, January 27, 2020

ZeroTwentythree's January Wood Elves (278 pts)

I wrapped up my painting earlier than expected. I started off the month with the basic building block of any wood elf army: archers. I felt this was a solid foundation to build on, and surprised myself in finishing by mid-month.



I'm happy with the painting on these, but I will admit that they are not the most flashy figures I've done. Last year's Sea Elves had brighter colors, for example. The concept behind them drove my decision to paint them in dark colors. Based on my alternate Wahammer setting. My "Althammer". These aren't the frolicking in the bright Spring blossoms sort of wood elves. They're the pragmatic, survivalists, crossing mountains and hunting prey in dark forests type of wood elves. They're practical. But... still bring harps into battle, apparently. ;)



I.C. 2439

Orcs had been all but driven from the Empire & Bretonnia, with no large scale invasions in almost a hundred years. Yet in I.C. 2437 a small band of orcs descended from the Grey Mountains to raid farmsteads and small villages in the plain of Bastonne. The threat was not great, but the Duke of Bastonne was unwilling to let any group of orcs gain a foothold in his lands. They were were driven north to the dark Forest of Arden the following year. The shrinking band of raiders was then driven east into the mountains in by the small Wood Elf community who dwelt there. With the orcs gone, most paid them no heed. But the seeress Oreldis sensed there was something more to the handful of wretched nomads. And although the orcs' numbers dwindled, they were picking up all manner of other misfits along the way. A small scouting mission gathered around her and pursued, but lost track of them in obscure mountain passes. Still sensing some vague but ominous portent surrounding the band, the elven scouts continued across the mountains and have carried on their hunt ever since. Their mission has been hard, and taken them far from home. In broken lands formerly ruled by their ancestors they find themselves pulled into the confusing politics of the Wasteland as they continue to hunt their quarry, the so-called "warlord" Zogmar...


Since I finished early, I prepped next month's figures for painting (15 more archers) and worked on some "stretch goals" as someone else in the challenge referred to such things. First was a wood rider, plus some blank bases. When prepping my Feb. figures I noticed that a couple of them won't rank up easily. Though they'll probably be skirmishing much of the time, I thought some blanks ("invisible elves) will help of they need to form up.



Next up, a beast master & bear from Grenadier, plus a way-to-large bear from Reaper. I was trying to find a bear similar in size to the old Grenadier model and was way off the mark. Too nice of a figure not to paint. So, I'm still on a quest for a second bear to fit on a 25mm base.

Nothing says "I'm in harmony with nature" like wearing the dismembered body parts of the woodland animals and forcing them into battle.


One of my additional goals for the OWAC is to put together some larger trees. The only trees I currently own are tiny, sad looking things. So here's my first test model. I mixed too much putty for the trunk & branches, so used it for a 'shroom rather than letting it go to waste. (Empire gunner only shown for scale.)


Aside from all that, I also re-based an old wood elf I painted long ago, and put on a round base for an abandoned skirmish game.



So there's January:

15 Archers with shields, incl. standard and musician ...... 204 pts.
1 Wood Rider ........ 20 pts
1 Beastmaster w/ shield  and 2 bears ....... 54 pts
Bases & rebasing ....... 0 pts
Tree & 'shroom ....... 0 pts

January Total: 278 pts

15 comments:

  1. I'm still laughing over the 'harmony with nature' bit, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was painting him, I imagined I heard this deranged little elf voice in my head yelling "I wear the chopped up body parts of your loved ones! We are like kin now!"

      Delete
  2. That’s a great start! Although I like bright colors, the archer units is very effective and realistic. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Painting, stretch goals, terrain, bases, memes. The post has everything!
    10points to you sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking forward to your wood elves for a bit, and it was so worth it.

    This is great work, and all looks so good. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lookin good. Nice colour scheme 👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all. The dark & gritty color scheme is a little different, but my hope is that they will stand out as a contrast to the rest of my good/neutral armies, which are mostly bright & colorful. I keep thinking of them in terms of being siblings to the sea elves, with opposite personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, I like the dark green!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when elves show their low down and dirty guerrilla side. Everyone's always going on about how pretty and fancy their lah di dah elves are.

    It's good to remind people of the maxims that'll keep you alive in the woods. Around elves, watch yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work on these. The archers are wonderfully somber.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent stuff all round, lovely minis and a great post! *tips hat*

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous- can't wait to see the project progress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely done. I wanted to jump into the challenge, but I've got the core done of my 4 WFB armies, and doing a "new" army isn't in the cards.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog