Tuesday, June 2, 2020

JeffA's The Famed Winged Lancers (200pts)

I've saved the best for last, The Kislev Winged Lancers.


Inspired by the real world Polish Winged Hussars, the Kislev Lancers are in my top ten favorite models of all time. On September 11th 1683, at the Battle of Vienna, was the peak of glory for the Hussars. 3000 Hussars at the front of 18,000 Calvary, charged into the Ottoman troops smashing the Ottoman army and saving Vienna. 

This month went pretty smoothly. Working from home during the pandemic was very weird at first and I spent most of my day staring at my computer waiting for emails. But now that we are 3 months in, I found a time every day to paint. So I actually finished 5 days early, as opposed to the last minute sprint painting on the last day at 11:59PM. Ok enough blah blah blah, lets see the horseys.


As I've stated in the past I suck at free hand shields and banners. So I cheat, Water slide decals. I'm getting pretty good at making my own.


Painting these was a bit of problem. I did not have a complete set of Lancers. I was missing several pieces including 4 wings. Thankfully I found some resin wings online and bought those.


Another challenge was the previous owner had tried to sculpt just plain cloaks over the lion skin cloak. I liked the effort but it was poorly executed and sort of covered the cool lion/cheetah(?) head and claws. So I just ignored the what was not covered and painted it as a cloak. 

Points
Winged Hussars....200pts

That's it, 5 months, 5 entries, over 1000 points and I'm done. But I'm not. I've got one more unit to paint so lets go!

I'll leave you with with this Awesome Heavy Metal video....

 


Cheers, Xin/Jeff

7 comments:

  1. Great work Jeff, it's going to be an impressive army!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice cavalry! Will you be adding more troops to the unit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, these really look the part - lovely work. The banner and shields tie the unit together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking unit! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work! I think it really catch the Kislev atmosphere

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog