Monday, June 1, 2020

Joe's Compact Chaos Company - May - Mounted Marauders and Chaos Knight Champion (333 points)

"The wretched, bloody and usurping boar,
That spoiled your summer fields and fruitful vines,
Swills your warm blood like wash, and makes his trough in your embowelled bosoms-
This foul swine is now even in the centre of this isle..."


Richard III, Act 5 Scene 2


I really tried to loosen up and make these very dirty and shabby and dark- the opposite of my usual style. The mounted marauders are from Essex Miniatures' old FAN series, and the Champ is a plastic Battle Masters knight. His lance snapped off so he has a new brass one and his steed is a resin rhino from Alternative Armies. The 'mini-knight' sitting in front of one of Marauders is a 25mm Minifigs miniature- perhaps he's the rider's son, or a homunculus-familiar, or something even more sinister and unpleasant. The banner is a departure from my others- after spending a long time on something more high-effort and consciously surreal I decided I didn't like it and I just tried this out instead. I think I really like it. The passage is from Richard III, and I only realised once I'd done it that the figure with the raised mace seems to be based on Richard. I hope this isn't construed as an anti-Richard statement piece; I'm quite fond of the old King of the car-park!

5 Marauder Horse @ 45pts each
led by Pesk the Profane, Margrave of the Salted Marsh
(a Chaos Knight Champion with Lance and Chaos Steed- 108 pts)

UNIT TOTAL- 333pts

9 comments:

  1. Oooh what a great idea for a banner! Lovely work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That banner is inspired. I also really enjoy the effect you're getting on the rough and dirty knights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great unit with lots of character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the weirdness in every knight and the muted color. The banner is also an amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb! The combo of the classic looking knight, literary banner, and Rhino mount screams oldhammer at me!

    Lots of other lovely stuff going on here too - the shields in particular are ace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is out of left field, from the banner to the really old models, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Copying in on what the others say - this is great. I love how there's always something unexpected, comical and creepy in every regiment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! I'm glad to see someone else use Essex horses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice choice of models. You really gave them a lot of detail and the shabby look brings them to life. Super job!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog