Friday, July 23, 2021

Tom's Bad Moon Orks: Wrap Up - 1533points


Pro tip: wash your models before getting them photographed. I didn't and there's lots of dust! Anyhow....

I have thoroughly enjoyed this years edition of the OWAC, and I am very pleased with the painting that I've managed, although the last six weeks or so were super tough! I'm especially pleased with my collection of runtherds, and their squigs :) 

Here they are, to kick us off wiv a massive photo dump but first...

I extend massive thanks to my friend Michal Iwanowski for the hard work he put in cleaning up the photos that he took of da ladz. I asked him not to amend any detail/colour on the models, but he has eliminated shadow from the background, and also touched up some scuffs on the black rim bases. I am gutted I did not think to wash the models before photographing, but there we are. All models have been given a lacquer varnish first, and then sprayed with Testors Dulcote. I am sooooo pleased that they're all varnished! Further thanks go to Instagram inspiration doods savage_orc_guy, snotlingdiscotek, the_crown_of_command_podcast, grinning loon, and highland_painting. Legends.
Further and louder shout outs goes to my mates Carl and Pierre!

Each time I paint a project I always feel a little weird - like do I like actually painting? Is it worth it? What's it for? Should I be doing something else? 

Putting together this post, rearranging all the models for photos and noticing all the little mistakes and blemishes reinforces my feeling that this army in particular is my best painted to date. That feeling of improvement, and just general excitement about what you could paint next has made it all worth while. Plus when I look back on it, I'm always amazed that I've painted them at all!

I've kinda gone all out on this wrap up post - something to look back on and remember for the future. I've loved it.

So....without further ado:

Runtherds:

This guys the guy that's responsible for smooth running of the squig catapult. I like how dark/bright he is. 👇


I like the thin pinstriping and green drool on this guy 👇


I remember this one being a pleasure to paint. I like the choice of yellow for the trousers, and I feel that the gym looks really good here! 👇


I like this ones eyes! 👇


This guy is one of my favourite orks. 👇


For some reason I like his red scrunchie, and his hand holding his runthook. I also like the rivets on his leg. 👇


I remember struggling to start this one, and he is definitely not my favourite paintjob! But he did see me through a sticking point... Definitely choose to leave stuff blank to keep motivations.(for example I think I'd like to have put some flames on his shoulder, painted those little squares on the hook hand a different colour, maybe added some hazard striping on the gun, or dags in the headband, or some extra bands onthe feathers...) 👇


This dude came out really basic, and I remember looking back at him and being surprised at how good he looks now! 👇


This guy is from the rogue trader era. Nice! 👇


A honorary Mek/Runtherd 👇




Squigs



Mek 
(although this guy 👇 could stand in for a runtherd! I like his frowning brow.)


I am so pleased I painted the rivets on his helmet, bags and belt. They make him look good (or better)! 👇


Again, this dude: one of my favourites. So much so that he inspired the addition of blue into the red pinstripes and inspired his own as yet unfinished, unit of boyz 👇

Painboys

How heavy you reckon those scissors are? 👇

Another favourite, along with the previously mentioned Dok - jointly inspiring the tricolour pinstripe and unfinished 'improofed' boyz. 👇


Weirdboys
The smol gun is my favourite gun! It's so tiny :) 👇


Warphead
I like the squiiiiigs! And his hair colour. And the choice of red for the boots! 👇


Weirdboy Minders

I think these minders are the only orks in a yellow jumpsuit? Anyhow, their blunt faces were great to paint. 👇



Bad Ork Freebooters

Sweet jeebus, this guy - what a model! Notable in that I took soooo many pictures of this guy when I was painting him, which was an absolute pain in the arse. I'm very glad that I did it though, and I like the alternating red and yellow for the legs. I feel some extra, simple freehand on those legs would have been a great thing, but I was a little nervous of making him look too busy and unbalanced, so I left him undecorated (apart from the gun barrel and shoulder pad) 🤘 👇


The towering ork was an imposing model to paint and I put him off for ages... I like the grenade colour 👇


I really struggled with all the heavy weapon models, although previously I was really looking forward to painting them. There's a lot more of these ladz to do... 👇


Proper piratey! I like the belt :) 👇


I looked forward to painting this guy, and brought him in the later part of the OWAC especially for rounding out the freebooting unit. One of maybe two orks with flashy red shoes :) 👇
I ummed and ahhed over painting a black circle on the plasma gun... 👇
A basic boi. I forgot to paint his bracelet, but I like the subtle skintones in the face.
Monowheel! Love it! The tiny writing on the 'numberplate' reads BAD1, and was inspired by savage_orc_guys amazing paint, and tiny writing, on her orks. 👇

One of the unfinished freebooter mob that follows the Dok and Mek 👇
Another one. I'd like to paint up three more regular boys with stripey trousers to complete the squad. 👇
Power Armoured Nobs

One of my favourites 💪 👇

Da Boss. I feel I should have painted the knuckledusters a different colour, and I remember painting the space marine helmet red to cast shade on Iannick's space marine force! 👇
Half a face eh? I quibbled over whether I should paint it metallic or red. I'm pleased I went with metallic! 👇
I really liked how the face came out on this guy! 👇
And again, detailing the rivets, although time consuming and nerve wracking, was well worth it. 👇

Boys! 
There might well be a few photos missing - it's really hard to pick out individuals from the mass crowd of photos!

I'm not going to write about each one, but I do say that I do enjoy a sporadic batch paint of a monopose model! Once the colour scheme is worked out, it's just about enjoying the process: which no doubt can be arduous, but the models spend ages in mid paint OMG-what-have-I-done phase, and then once over that hump, finish off surprisingly quickly.
Popping on some flames onto the shoulderpads really makes them I feel! 👇

Of all the ork heavy weaponry, I feel rokkits are 👌 
Yes! Love the tongue on this guy 👇
Originally a member of the Mek and Doks modified boys, this lad is now in charge of his own unit...👇



Gretchin Runt Grots.

Lovely little sculpts, which I really need to paint more of!

More Boys!



War machines

Holy moley, painting this thing required loads of enthusiasm, which fortunately I had! It was a great thing to paint, and I am kinda safe in the knowledge that I'll never paint another one again (they are ridiculously expensive!) I'm super chuffed that I put a streamer banner on top of the banner pole - it makes it for me :)




The dreadnaught! This one painted up in sections quite quickly. I was a little daunted by the overal piece, but just fully painted it in tiny sections and it was done over a week or so



The rest of the big gunz I held back on painting dags all over the wheels. I felt that it would sap my motivations too much... 'basic' paint, but sweet jeebus, the extra time painting rivets really pulls them forward :)





Grot crew 
I hated painting this guy for some reason. Just wanted it over and done ASAP! 👇
NipNop! 👇
I love the trio of squig catapult crew, and I put some extra effort into them :) 👇👇👇
Love this lil' dood (but which one eh?) 👇
I feel that this oil squig came out really well. Of all the colour choices I made, I am stoked with this one.- especially as it comes across (I think) that there's more of the same stuffed in his bag! 👇


Here's a nice lil' set of big gun + crew pics!


And then all the OWAC boyz!



Previously painted boyz...

I post them here for completion :) They were painted on the runup to the OWAC proper as a Squad Challenge. I feel that there's definitely more effort gone into them, and I've not gone back to add the blue to the stripey trousers, because I like seeing this paint history/evolution. 

I did, however, go back in on the power armoured nobs and add flames to the armour - mostly inspired by Joshua Van Z's awesome orks!

First up, the big gun with different crew (swap them for the crew above...)

Freebooters!

Nobs in power armour
Weirdboy
Squigs

These are the crew I painted before the OWAC...
Warbike
Gobsmasha!

Some group shots...

All da boyz!


Base by base costings using the 2nd ed Ork Codex, and using the above (green) Army Pic for reference:

Warboss w/powerclaw + custom shoota + 'eavy armour   65+20+10  
*Bodyguard w/bolt pistol 12  
Bodyguard w/bolta 12
**Attack Squig 3
Attack Squig 3

Warphead w/bolta + bolta 85
Weirdboy w/bolta + bolt pistol -free
Minder w/bolta + chainsword - free
Minder w/plasma pistol - free
Squig - 3

Power Nob Boss w/bolt pistol 15+7
Power Nob w/power fist + bolta 15+1+7+10
Power Nob w/ plasma gun 15+7+6
Power Nob w/chainsword 15+7+2
Power Nob w/bolta + power fist 15+1+7+10

Painboy 18

Dreadnaught w/heavy plasma + power claw 120

Boy 12
Boy 12 
Boy 12
Boy 12
Nob 12

Boy 12
Boy 12
Boy 12
Boy 12
Nob 12

Boy 12 
Boy 12
Boy w/standard 12
Boy w/rocket launcher 12+30
Nob 12

Boy 12
Boy 12
Boy 12
Boy w/heavy plasma 12+26
Nob 12

Boy 12
Boy 12
Boy 12
Boy w/heavy bolta 12+10
Nob w/plasma pistol 12+4

Boy 12
Boy w/heavy bolta 12+10
Nob 12
Squig 3
Squig 3

Serving platter runt 3
Squig 3
Runtbot Controller 12
Runtbot 3
Runtherd 18
Squig 3
Runtherd - free
Squig 3
Runt 3
Squig 3

Grot 5
Grot 5
Grot 5
Grot 5
Grot 5
Grot 5
Grot 5
Grot 5
Grot w/standard 5
Grot Boss 5

Freebooter w/custom shoota 12+20
Freebooter Monowheel 12
Freebooter w/plasma pistol 12+4
Freebooter w/custom shoota + bolta 12+20
Freebooter 12
Freebooter Mek w/custom shoota 12+20
Freebooter w/bolt pistol + chainsword 12+2
Freebooter w/chainsword 12+2
Freebooter w/lascannon 12+30
Freebooter Dok w/custom shoota 12+20

Traktor Kannon 40
Runtherd - free
Runt - free
Runt - free
Squig 3
Squig 3

Smasha Gun 45
Runtherd - free
Runt - free
Runt - free
Squig 3
Squig 3

Mek w/flamer + bolta 18+7+3

Battlewagon 50
Runtherd - free
Runtherd w/chainsword - free

Squig Catapult 40
Runtherd - free
Runtherd - free
Runt - free
Runt - free
Runt - free

Runtherd - free

Splatta Kannon 60
Runtherd - free
Runt - free
Runt - free
Squig 3
Squig 3


TOTAL 1533
*Bodyguard counts as boy for points, as does the runtbot controller
**Squig counts as gretchin assistant for points

Models painted: 112


.........

Hi fives, fist bumps, jubialiant shouts to be shared with fellow Ork Boss: Jon Garrad, 
And also with fellow Orc Bosses: Chris 'Blue' Sabick, William 'Bill' Adcock, Mike Murphy.
All the other armies pale in comparison to the mighty WAAAAAAAGH energy generated by such a collective creation of ork armies! Although the other challengers armies are absolute fire and also solid gold AT THE SAME TIME. Check 'em out. (Even the Eldar ones!)

All that's left now is a massive shout out to Iannick, overlord of the Old World Army Challenge. No doubt, without this challenge, I would only be thinking about painting and not actually doing anything.
Legend.

43 comments:

  1. Well done sir, a very nice looking army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yours is truly impressive - you are a painting machine!

      Delete
  2. Now you have to name each one (LOL!) Spectacular army and painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Can you imagine! I so should have generated some names at least with the dice table in one of the books (I forget which one right now). I love it when I see others with the character name on the base, but for some reason I shy away from it myself... I think it's because I hate writing with a paintbrush. I guess I should buy a white pen of somekind...
      Thank you Lissanne, your Eldar are fantastic too - such a wide range of colour, but yet a cohesive force at the end!

      Delete
  3. You are insane! That's a glorious force. Oozing Rogue Trader, and exactly how I picture an Ork force should look like. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iannick! I'm soopa proud of them and I'm looking forward to adding more to them at some point (maybe next year😉). Thanks for all your hard work on the OWAC - it must be....challenging... to say the least, especially when your knee deep in space marines also!

      Delete
  4. That is AMAZING!!! Very inspiring! Oozes RT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Orks for miles! Nice force you have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one, cheers! Hopefully I'll be able to muster the mental fortitude to add some more - so much respect to you and your fourth OWAC for the same army. That total army pic is 🧨 Proper!

      Delete
  6. Some of the best-looking orcs I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind of you to say - thank you! I love your banners, they are very inspirational!

      Delete
  7. Amazing amount of models painted in 6 months! And these flashy colors O_O... Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jaeckel, you legend! I'm already looking forward to following your OWAC's build and paint next year. Your dwarfs were an absolute highlight - I love the model history/paint history/conversions. ✨

      Delete
  8. Joyous! Wicked stuff, and proper old school orky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ones of the most beautiful orks i have ever seen !! They are awesome ! They look like cartoons, bravo !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I consider my mind well and truly flayed by your wrap up - so deliciously horrific!

      Delete
  10. Seriously cool on all levels....model selections...color selection...amazing execution of theme...just perfection. You sir are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy.moly, thank you. I feel vindicated - there's always so much, well.... doubt I guess. Thanks again. Your fully mounted Stampede is a great and wonderous thing! 👌

      Delete
  11. A wonderful display, very well done!!
    I have to say the horde of squigs is my favorite, but it’s all impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The runtherd collection is my favourite (to date!). I love your lizardman basing - and it's something I'd like to work more on, so seeing your swampy bases is setting the creative thoughts going! Nice one :)

      Delete
  12. Absolutely amazing. I love the paint job and it's an amazing collection. I want each and every one of these minis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the old squigs. I love everything about this army.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing army, I love the riot of color. Not just that, but all the attention to detail, the rivets, the pimples, the shading around the eyes & noses, the free-hand stripes, and... the list can go on and on.

    Any plans for next year's challenge yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much everyone, the comment section here is a little overwhelming and incredibly lovely - thank you!

    ZeroTwentythree: I have a lot of plans, but no focus! Ideally I think I'd like to try a fully monopose/styrene orc and goblin army (maybe with metal command). I'm not sure how our feel painting it, but it's definitely something I'd love to have a go at :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A trully joy see how you painted this awesome army. One of my favourites. Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mariano. You Wood Elves are an absolute joy to behold. The level of painting acumen is off the hook!

      Delete
  17. That yellow madness is beyond awesome! You put a lot of love in the details in every miniature. And if it wasn't enough with the faces and the stripped clothes, those squigs. Man, those squigs are an impressive addition to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's very good of you to say :)
      The yellow is underpainted with pink. I would 100% recommend it!

      Delete
  18. Who'd have thought Orks could look so beautiful? Absolutely stunning and each and every one of them definitely deserves their own individual photo! My faves are also the Runtherdz and Squigs but they're all lovely. Massive congratulations - this is certainly a crowning achievement! Only thing is, do we now have a world shortage of yellow paint? 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? This army is THE ONLY ONE where I've actually run out of more than one paint pot in 6months. Like; totally used up / scraping the barrel / finished. Not dried up or spilled.
      Flash Gitz Yellow, Wild Rider Red, Moot Green and Baharoth Blue, all purposely brought for the Challenge, and all had a second pot!

      Delete
  19. Absolutely amazing force! I never considered yellow and light green would look so very good! 112 models (including warmachines!) and you made them all look unique. The level of detail is amazing and it is beyond me how you managed to put so much patterns on all of them (simple striped trousers take me ages!). Superb job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maciek - I love your undead, the banners are unreal. Proper classics that brought me right back! Thank you very much for the kind words :)

      Delete
  20. Pure, unadulterated, joyous eye-candy! A spectacular army on so many levels! The full army shots are stunningly good!
    Well done! Looking forward to what you'll treat us to next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you! It ain't gonna be anything as rare as your wonderful Fimir army, with such lovely skin tones!
      Most likely it'll be a fully plastic and monopose O&G army - if I can stomach it!

      Delete
  21. This has been such a joy to follow. Bright coloured orks and a horde to boot! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your undead look awesome - the basing is 🔥!

      Delete

Search This Blog