Monday, August 3, 2020

Graeme's OWAC3 Skaven wrap-up

My first OWAC is done! My lead pile is dented (if you look really closely)! My purveyors of pestilence may have got a little carried away though... sorry 'bout that!





Thanks to Iannick for organizing a great challenge and congratulations to all the challengers who overcame some serious adversity to deliver some truly impressive armies! This has been a weird year so far and it's been great to be part of a little community that share the same passion and have provided support, encouragement and the threat of shaming to keep everyone going. Special mention goes to the other members of #teamskaven, Adam and Brendan - together we managed to delivery the vermin triple whammy in the year of the rat. No mean feat.

Okay, on to the final muster...



- Gnawdoom (level 15 wizard), with hand weapon: 144 points
- Clan Chieftain (Level 5 Hero ), with spear and light armour: 31 points
- 1 Clan Chieftain (level 5 hero), with hand weapon, shield and light armour: 31 points
- 1 Clan Skyre Poisoned Wind Globadier, with hand weapon: 25 points



- Warpfire-thrower team: 81 points - Jezzailachis Team: 39 points
- 3 Plague Censer Bearers: 120 points



- 3 Clan Moulder Beastmasters, with hand weapon, and light armour: 31.5 points
- 16 Giant Rats: 32 points


- 8 Black Skaven, with halberds, and light armour: 60 points




- Clan Chieftain (Level 5 Hero ), with halberd, and light armour: 32 points
- 14 Plague Monks, with hand weapons, and light armour: 82.5 points (including extra 5.5 points for the standard-bearer)




- 10 Clan Eshin Gutter Runners, with hand weapons, light armour, and slings: 140 points




- 2 Clan Moulder Beastmasters, with hand weapon, and light armour: 21 points
- 5 Clan Moulder Rat Ogres, with hand weapon: 190 points

And of course the Offering to the Overlord (25 points) isn't shown, as it's already found its way to Iannick.

So here's what my 1060 points of Skaven look like:



I had been planning to paint more in the last couple of months of the challenge, but I lost my focus. I've got about 40 models in progress on my painting desk and a bunch of scenery sitting not far away. I made a start on some banners too. All these mini-projects vying for my attention meant that none got finished... Still, it leaves me something to do in the months before the next OWAC... :-)

Right, I'm off to feast my eyes on the other submitted armies. See you next time!

15 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great Skaven army. I really appreciate the mix of old models and the fact that they are painted extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brennan! I was really pleased to finally get some paint on my favourite minis, and I'm pretty happy with how the turned out.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations and a lovely (?) army of vermin! A shame you didn't take the ritual photo of yourself with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissanne! I'll happily take 'lovely'! :-)
      Yeah, the photos were taken late at night and I had some challenges with lighting - there will be more updates as I get more painted, so next time there will be photo of my ugly mug next to them. :-)

      Delete
  3. Gnawsome!

    The seer is my favourite model here - the globe looks amazing (as does every other rat).
    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Yeah, he's one of THE iconic minis for me. Glad you like my little horde!

      Delete
  4. Congrats for taking on a skaven army for the challenge. That's not an insignificant amount of painting you've done. Geat work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'm a little disappointed I didn't get more done, or at least some banners, but they are next on the list... Happy with how they turned out, though.

      Delete
  5. The Skaven came out looking so good! Congratulations on a great looking force and go #teamskaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brendan!
      Yeah, #teamskaven came out on top this year - each army different, but all turning out really well.
      Just cleaned up some more Giant Rats from the lead pile, so I think I'll be trying to emulate your wriggling mass of Giant Rats... :-)

      Delete
  6. Nice looking bunch of rats you have there! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skaven were the first things that grabbed the 14 year old me some unmentionable number of years ago :-O but they were cast aside to the lure of dwarfs and ONG's. Your painting of this army has reawakened that long lost kernel of love. Your painting is superb. I LOVE the rust effect you have achieved on your armour and weapons! Really amazing. The colour palette throughout is sufficiently foetid with just a splash of the more vibrant in exactly the right places. Well done to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Karakvarn! That's really motivating to hear!
      I'm glad I managed to include a few of the original Skaven I bought more than thirty years ago, and used them to help finally fulfill my daydream of having a painted army of Skaven.
      I've plenty more to paint, so hopefully I'll have more to share in the near future.

      Delete
  8. The mean and moody colour pallete works so well - fantastic stuff. Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog