Monday, January 25, 2021

Shadespyre's Lizardmen - Karnac Returns - Rank and File I (240 points)

Only one way to start this challenge, really, and that is by painting some of Karnac's raiders themselves.

There's some guidance for colours in the original blurb for the regiment, from which I took the copper / bronze armour and black equipment. I decided pale bows would stand out from the rest of the model, and chose a variety of browns and muddy greens for the skins, inspired by there crocodilian appearance.

The basing material is raw natural slate, assembled in individual jigsaws puzzles over the cast-on bases. It's a bit fiddly  but I like how it looks and I think I can stand to do it 50 times. I'll paint and decorate the movemement trays to match before the end of the OWAC.

For now, that's my first 10 rank and file painted, and at 24 points each that's 240 points. 






Ultimately. the three different green skin tones I used turned out quite similar. From here on I think I will keep the brown and the greyist of the greens, plus one of the other greens. I want to introduce some more colour to the other archers, so that when I paint the characters in more distinct / primary colours there's more of  a sense of progression amongst the force. 

Looking ahead, I spent some of the time between coats making this simple conversion from a broken spearman to standard bearer. This chap will be the focal point of my swords and shields unit, and save me shopping for a 12th member of that regiment.

Next up?

More Rank and File, I think. I might just keep on with the next 10 archers while I'm on a roll.

9 comments:

  1. Nice! I don't see these guys often, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done sir, the subdued colours work quite nicely with the more colourful high-lights and at twenty points basic, easily making the points quota this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always great to see some paint on these guys and I love the basing. The bone coloured bows work well too. Must get round to painting mine up some time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty random choice for the bow colour, but since then i've been thinking that if you live so far underground then bone might be a good material to make bows from...?

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to see more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen an old lizardmen army put together and your archers look amazing. Waiting to see that banner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on these old figures! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these figures and can't wait to see the painted army.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work, they look very good. Like your skin tone, cool muted greens with a hint of grey. Makes them look crocodilian. And indeed these are rare - don't think I've ever seen full regiments of these.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog