Monday, January 25, 2021

Glyn's Night Goblins - Month 1 - SQUIGS!!! (136 points)

Well, a new year.....and nothing new here in the dystopian nightmare that is the dying husk of the UK. Did I say nothing new? Well, not quite nothing..... 😉

Long have I wanted to paint up my Night Goblin army, but for an equally long time have I pondered over what colour scheme I wanted to use. Most of my musings rested on the question of how to paint black and, of increasing importance since joining the OWAC last year, how to paint black in a realistically fast way. I had initially planned to do my goblins for last years OWAC, but I couldn't find a way of painting black that I really liked or felt comfortable with. But then I stumbled across a tutorial by Vince Venturella on YouTube and eureka! I liked the method, felt even I could do it, and loved the result!! My second question related to colour. An army of black could look somewhat uninspiring....how was I going to give it some brightness?? You guessed it.... Squigs!! 😀

And so, weighing in at 136points for month one, I give you 2 Squig Herder teams and their 6 Squigs!





I must at this point give due credit to a fellow challenger, Chris (Blue), whose goblin skin recipe I have stolen, but not executed anywhere near as well as he does!! But I do like it....a lot! 

I hope you all enjoy the Squigs as much as I enjoyed painting them 😀😄 loads of fun! I'm pleased with how they've turned out and I'm quietly encouraged by the black of the robes ☺️

And as you can see......i am still crap at photos! 

You may recall from my introductory post that I mentioned the possibility of a 3rd archer unit. Gork and Mork have smiled on my Waaaaggghhhhhh (together with the postman working with me to make deliveries as surreptitiously as possible during lockdown!😉😳) and the third unit has materialised. For transparencies sake, my three units currently look as below and next months offering will be one from these 👍😀

12 comments:

  1. I look forward to watching your progress, with your horde!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love squigs! And you have an extra week for the archers now! They look wonderful, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taste the (squig) rainbow! Nice variety of colours on them

    ReplyDelete
  4. All metal for the archers? You've done well there!

    Lovely stuff, do share the link to the black tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks. Yes, I've been lucky in getting them and using a couple of conversions to fill out. The link for the black is
      https://youtu.be/8FDxWbnTYbE

      Delete
  5. Yay Squigs! Your black is looking good too - no mean feat painting that much of it across a whole army.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love night goblins and yours seem pretty cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The black painting did turn out well. And I do love the color you introduced with the squigs -- which are also very well done! But I also think it's OK to let a night goblin army be... dark. Some armies will inevitably be bright and flashy, but I think subdued colors work better for others and I really like seeing that worked into a project I think the black, green, red of the goblins themselves looks great so far. Looking forward to more.

    Also like the bases -- they really compliment the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't normally like the washed out style, but really compliments these well. Looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  9. As the overlord mentioned the rainbow of colours is great. The spots of bright colours from these should compliment the blackness of the goblins nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great and will certainly stand out against the black-green horde. I like the multi-coloured squigs, particulalrly the blue onnes. Looking forward to the archers. Do love the night gobbos, but found the prospect of painting hordes of them a bit daunting. Looking forward to your archers

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog