Monday, January 25, 2021

ZeroTwentythree's January Eldar Pirates (238 pts)

Tar'El landed with two serpent squads to plunder fuel and food in a quick raid on a small agri-world. Somewhere in the planning, something must have got jammed up.
What he found on the surface was even more backwater than the typical fringe world near the perimeter of the Void. Contrary to intel, there were no settlements anywhere near the drop site exceeding tech level 3. It was like they had transported back in time and where looking at the ancestors of the mon-keigh as well as their own. No fuel, no food fit to travel, no tech....

Until a scan of an isolated forest considered "cursed" by the locals revealed several heavy stone structures with a small power source triggering sensors even through the thick earthworks. With little trouble, the raiding party overwhelmed the lone inhabitant. At first little information or tech of value was found, but buried in a primitive hillside tomb, they discovered that their trip wasn't entirely a loss.

Rank & File month #1


I like to start each new wargaming project with a solid foundation. That usually means the rank & file troops that should form the core of a given force. So my choice for January was a pair of basic Serpent Squads.

The two squads are identical, due to limited figures. I took some liberties with the leader -- his "flamer" is more like a flame pistol, but close enough for me. I stuck with the palette and look of the test figure that will be send as tribute sign of appreciation to the Benevolent Overlord. I don't think I quite hit the same level of quality working on ten figures as I did on just the one, but given how busy this month has been I'm happy with the results and glad to meet the deadline at all!

I've even managed to find some time to work on derailing my plans right out of the gate, as expected...

+++ Intercepted transmission, showing unknown agents retrofitting a stripped fringe world variant Imperial grav-attack. +++


 
January Total..... 238 pts.
 
Total so far....   238 pts.

16 comments:

  1. Look at the luminosity!
    I'm looking forward to this Grav Tank for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My current inclination is to make the grav attack a lot less luminous. But I'm a bit torn on that right now...

      Delete
  2. Love the green and the contrasting grey of the weapons! The Grav Tank looks fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a lurker...seldom comment (sorry) - but just have to say, this is AWESOME. So cool, so very much how I imagined the Eldar to be in the Rogue Trader days. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This is sort of a completely different direction from when I painted my first Eldar when RT first came out (and I was much younger). I used a lot of pale & neutral colors at that time. But I'm using this project to explore some of the other new & retro sci-fi art & vivid palettes I've seen, and try to get them to work in my own way.

      Delete
  4. The skin on blue works perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bright colours and blue skin. The grav tank and that leader increase the hype with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the unique style and approach, looking forwards to where you go with it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the different take on the regular Eldar colour scheme. It works really well and emphasises the alien feel. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favourite eldar range and they look wonderful. I'd be scared to paint something so bright!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog