Monday, April 26, 2021

Byron - The Cold One Sortie (215 Points)

 Rank and File #3



Kin'Lath, our trusted garrison warden, was apprehensive about the strength of his garrison. In the waning days of winter his elves were still vulnerable and fell victim to Skaven incursions. With the coming of Spring his hopes have warmed as his tiny hold swelled with reinforcements. He was recently able to roundly defeat two forest goblin attacks and feels quite confident. 

However, summer is just around the corner and with Summer comes heat and more campaigning. Kin'Lath requested a pack of cold ones in the hopes that the sun will heat their blood and make them a valuable sortie force for his garrison. His garrison has been limited to very defensive fighting; a unit of daring cold one knights should provide an aggressive arm to the army. Time will tell if this was a well advised choice. 


Scorched Pass Sortie [Helldrakes w/ Lance x 5, 215 points] - The marauder cold ones came as monopose mounts - all the cold ones were the same. So I wanted to do something unique and fun with the unit to spice it up. I decided to model the unit as if it had failed its stupidity test. The marginal doodle from the 5th edition rulebook was silly, fun, and caught my imagination months prior, so I had to do it. Much easier said than done. Every cold one had to get modified. I don't have a jeweler's saw, so all the cuts were made with an old exacto blade. Most of their heads were cut off and repositioned, this meant resculpting scales, teeth, headdresses, harnesses, as well as hands and claws etc. Next, the old lances were trash - easily bent, and they were these broadheaded spears with rabbit tails (for good luck???) - so they had to go. Thankfully, I had a bag of 6th ed. spears that came with the bits and bobs I got for my baggage train. I tried to keep as much of the original lance arms as I could, but some just had to go so I had to resculpt some shoulder and midriff chainmail to get the arms and poses right, plus sculpting the lance hand guards and extending the lance lengths with toothpicks. Finally, the shields are 6th ed empire detachment shields that have been filed down. Apparently these are bigger than the old hoplons used by the marauder dark elves. [also, their shield nubs are on their elbows??? how's that supposed to work, Trish????] Basically, lots of work went into these guys to make them look just right, but if I did my job right, no one would have noticed except for the obvious silly bits. 



This little friendo is doing a run. Someone had to pass the stupidity test. (also, this is the one shield rune that I just made up. The rest are from the 4th ed dark elf book)



This cold pupperino decided to gnaw on his owner's lance. Omnomnom. :3





Just like our canine friends, this cold one has found something far more interesting than all the hurried soldiers running about. Priorities.  (also, I resculpted the nostrils on this one to emphasize that they are smelling the turd.)




BLEP! Personal hygiene is important. 




Doin' me a heckin' startle! This cold one friendo has been startled. He's not doing anything this turn. 


Group pic of the stupid cold ones. 




Finally, to finish the month, the cold one stables. It is designed to match the aesthetic of the small fort. Made entirely out of cardboard - even the doors and stonework. 

22 comments:

  1. Great sculpts and I love the 'box art'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahah I love them ! Great sculpting skills !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them!! So much character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the painting, the box art and the stables...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great conversions with a really fun background story to the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great conversions with a really fun background story to the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, this was worth the anticipation! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this months entry! You sir have won the internet this month. My favorite is the poo sniffer. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just nailed their "character". I love the paw licking one, my suggestion I believe and its perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessir :)
      The lance gnawer was also a group suggestion

      Delete
  12. So what I like about these, besides everything, is that to a very casual observer from four feet away it could just be a rather eccentrically posed Cold One unit. Everything's taking up the right space, nothing's overdone or exaggerated, it's all still game ready, and then you get in close and you SEE. They're funny but you're not milking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had toyed with the idea of “rank filler” type basing. But that would have been overkill for a 5 model unit.

      Delete
  13. Love it! And all cut with an exacto blade - what a chore! My favourite is the lance biter, what a naughty boi! The unit looks flipping awesome, what a star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut the startled cold one first. Cutting out the legs with an old blade took 2-3 evenings per leg. Bad idea. Once that one was cut, I decided I wouldn’t do it again. So all the other changes were more subtle.

      Delete
  14. They look excellent. I'm not a fan of those cold one sculpts, but your efforts in converting them has certainly won me round. A brilliantly characterful unit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Been looking forward to these and you have not disappointed! Lovely and skillful conversions that aren't too over the top! Sounds like you suffered for your art this month but it was certainly worth it - the poo sniffer has to be my fave also!

    Cracking work on the stables - again, you've nailed a Dark Elf aesthetic without making the building look unbelievable or impractical.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant. Conveys their personnality to a tee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning, absolutely stunning. Cant decide between poo sniffer or lance chewed for my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are great! Excellent conversions, which capture the character of the models. Top notch!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog