Sunday, January 23, 2022

Bill's Greenskins: Da Old Guard (406 Pts)

 Rank and File Month #1

As the gate gave way, orcs streamed through into the fortress - not the fat, dullwitted creatures Captain Arnulf von Grenzstadt was used to seeing pour up the Black Fire Pass. No, these were lean, sinewy creatures; all gristle, teeth and scar tissue. These were warriors, experienced ones. With howls and shrieks of bloodlust, they spread out from the ruined gateway, rusty blades raised high in anticipation. 

Von Grenzstadt grinned beneath his salt-and-pepper mustache. An experienced orc was still just an orc. Shouting over his shoulder to the halberdiers behind him, he called out "Wine from my own family vineyards for every man who can bring me three orc scalps!"

And then the enormous green foot, composed of crackling arcane energies, dropped on him.

 

I decided I'd start off this year with some old lead - most of this regiment are Citadel figures released between 1985 and 1993, collected off of eBay individually or in small lots, cleaned up and based by me. Only the musician, a Heartbreaker release sculpted by Kev Adams, is a young stand-out. It's a modern casting from Ral Partha Europe of a sculpt done in 1996, but I liked the gong he's carrying and decided he'd be a worthwhile addition instead of continuing to chase after musician figures on eBay. 

Second rank
 

 There's something reverential for me about handling and painting old miniatures; it's a hands-on connection to the history of the hobby for me, and there's maybe a sense of honoring these figures; after lingering for so long in attics or basements, they've been given new life by my hands. Maybe I'm being too solemn about the old boys, but it just seems right to paint them and get them on the table after all these years. 

Third Rank
 
Musician, Standard Bearer, Hero

Shields are a mix of classic Citadel shields that I got mixed in with these eBay lots and a few from Knightmare Games. I wanted to push myself and try painting some checkerboard patterning, which I think worked out pretty well.  

Some favorites among the shields

Joining them is an Orc Shaman from Knightmare Games, a bit bigger than his older brethren but covered in fantastic detail - mushrooms, spider, the bits and bobs on his belt, even the little snotling carrying the book for him. 



January Points Totals:

  • 14 Orc Big'uns, Standard and Musician: 152 pts
  • Level 15 Orc Hero, Shield and Light Armor: 91 pts
  • Level 15 Orc Wizard: 163 pts

Total:  406 pts

15 comments:

  1. Nice to see another horde grow, long live the waarg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some classics here and some of my favourite Orcy sculpts! Great job and love the narrative intro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, great classic orcs and that shaman is nifty too! WAAAGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start; I really like the half and half shield design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really happy with how the half-and-half shields turned out; I kind of wish I hadn't painted the "fang" shields for variety, but I'm not going to go back and redo them.

      Delete
  5. "Too mean to die"
    The only thing that banner is missing is a middle finger :D

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was seriously considered! I went with a more ragged banner because I didn't want to cover the figure entirely; if I'd had a bit more space to work with I probably would have included an indignant green hand flipping "the bird."

      Delete
  6. That Knightmare shaman is great! I especially love your checked shields

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the mix of models especially, and the classic basing too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great start Bill! The checkerboard looks fantastic. A favorite is the shield with the hand in it though. Memories of trying to do that as a kid and it not coming out quite so convincingly 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My wife loved that one best as well, and was not happy when it ended up on a rear-rank orc!

      Delete
  9. I'm a big fan of earthier colours on orc skin and these are spot on. Excellent work dude, looking forward to seeing the rest of the army !

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great mix of lovingly painted sculpts. Nice skin tone too.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog