Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Toms Space Orks: Leader month (154 pts)

Aaaand....we're off!
I'm starting out with my leaders first off. I find that as the Challenge progresses my enthusiasm for detail wanes somewhat, so although the leader models are inspiring sculpts suitable for a treat after a block of footsoldiers or something equally tedious, I thought it's best I paint them first.

However to warm up with I did paint on New Years Eve a single squig - this yellowboi from Knightmare Miniatures:





 
...and on New Years Day, this squig stand-in that I brought in a moment of extravagance - the Necromundian Ripper Jack:



The base cracked a little more than usual, but I think that's because the milliput I used hadn't cured properly. Who knows why? I mixed the two parts evenly and well and it's had plenty of time to dry - ho hum.

Now that the brush had warmed up, onto...

Da Bad Moon Boss!

Such an iconic model. I wanted to paint him last year, but I was unable to find one in a suitable price range (under a tenner 😬). 
Initially I found this quite a daunting model to start, but I just had to make a colour choice on the flames on the shoulders and then almost everything came off that.
I knew the weapons would be red, and the hair blue. If the flames were red, it would have to be a dark background, which left all the trim to be yellow. The remaining bits and bobs were coloured in relation to what they were next to - mostly that dark blue colour which was the background for the shoulder flames. The pouch is purple because it's purple on my other orks...



And the Evil Sunz Big Boss:
He's not quite what I envisioned, but....He's good enuff! I don't like the yellow shoulder armour - it needs something, but I don't really know what. I thought maybe a red chequerboard, or some black flames. The stripey red/yellow sleeves are not really doing it for me either, but I'm gonna roll with the punches and call him done :)


Mekaniak:
Oueff - that's a bright power blade!
Two swords eh? Maybe it's to stop him from having too much fun blasting away at the enemy, when he should be fixing shiz.

Pain Boy with Stainless Steel Skull (naturally painted red....)
This guy took ages to to, the time taken on the painting him got less and less as he progressed. I'm glad he's done, and also glad that I painted all the rivets, but I think some hazard striping on the claw or maybe the gun would be sweet 😂
 

Mekaniak:
This guy is a chunky piece of lead! 
This OWAC I seem to be painting a lot more coloured footwear, which I kinda like :)
I also like how this boys gun cam out.



Runt
A lil' helper for the meks. Although I think they've asked for a figgib, when that's clearly a giznub...
I really like how his face cam out, although maybe his shoes need a bit of a tidy. Never mind - crashing on!


Big squigs!

I couldn't not paint these straight away in the first month. They complete my squigsculpt collection of GW squigs. 
Naturally I've a few more from that there Knightmare Miniatures to add (but the yellowboi is my favourite sculpt from these), and I have also queued up a fan sculpt of the facehugger squig by Ye Alchemist.

Yellow. I've no idea why I went for yellow on this, but I think he's come out OK! My favourite bits are those two tiny wormy legs by his stinger.



I like how this guy came out too :) I think the tongue bit is cool. Either way - I'm  super chuffed they're both done. There'll be a massive group shot of all my squigs at the end of the OWAC...





That about wraps up my leader month. I know what you're thinking - I've painted all the character models, so what will break up the monotony of the monosculpt? Fortunately that's where the Freebooter boys come in. Hopefully! 
Next month should see some engines revving in one form or another...
Anyhow, thanks for checking out the progress - catch yers next time.
 


Intro: link
Month 1: Leader month: 
1x Warlord...65
1 x Big Boss...35
2 x Mekaniak...36
1 x Pain Boy...18
1 x Runt...FREE
4 x Squigs...FREE
Total: 154

running model count: 10

20 comments:

  1. You're being very harsh on yourself,these are fabulous again! The big boss in yellow armour... is it a lack of contrast with his face, somehow? 🤔 I never work with bright colours like these so I'm not much help...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you are spot on - the tone of the shoulders is similar to the tone of the face. I might go back and change up the colours if I feel abreast of the challenge at some point!
      Many thanks :)

      Delete
  2. These are great! And they fit in so well with your old army, looking forward to the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking stuff,excellent use of contrasting colours, highlighting and detail, they fit right in with your previous efforts, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great (and colourful!) start! Interesting point about enthusiasm for detail waning as the challenge progresses, something to consider as I look at my Dragon and Rider still in pieces next to the painting table...

    I've also been having some issues with normally problem free milliput not curing properly recently - bloody annoying but you seem to have overcome that well enough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me :) I hope the putty woe doesn't carry over to the dragon :(. Good luck with it!

      Delete
  5. These look fantastic. I envy your ability/willingness to paint in such bright colours. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you very much! The bright colours were a definite step outside of the comfort zone, but I feel as if I'm getting there with it (at least with the orks 😂). Cheers

      Delete
  6. More squigs!
    Absolutely lovely work throughout, but I particularly enjoy the painboy, great stuff :) I’m excited to see the lot of squigs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I was chuffed with how that vial on his belt came out :).
      I really think painting the rivets covers a lot of mistakes!
      Cheers

      Delete
  7. Beautiful as ever - can't get enough of your glorious Space Orks!

    The little yella fella somehow reminds me of a nightmarish cross between Dougal from the Magic Roundabout and one of the characters from the Banana Splits - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply fantastic! I like so much the color choice. Your work motivate me to go ahead with me ever-lasting Space orks project ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to watching your progress with your space wolves :)
      And yeah, I guess an ork army is never compete 🙈 Mork&Gork are hard taskmasters - you best paint up a few boys to keep them appeased!

      Delete
  9. Your colours are awesome dude, keep up the good work. Now you just need to find someone with an equally vibrant 2nd edition 1990s Space Marine army to field them against :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth! Thankfully I'm in Cardiff and there's a large gaming center nearby. They'll undoubtedly be someone there - it'll be next year's resolution :)

      Delete
  10. You are doing a great work. The way you paint them , so colorfull, fix perfectly with the sculpts. Let see what you have for next month...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your wood elf army from last year is outstanding, can't wait to see the mounted detachment for it this year! All the best

      Delete

Search This Blog