Wednesday, December 22, 2021

INTRO: Tom's Space Orks

Initially for this years Old World Army Challenge, I see-sawed between two different Fantasy Orc and Goblin armies - the classic red era models, but in monopose plastic with metal front rank as homage to the 90's. Or the older Orc and Goblins - the kind with the metal boars and wolves.
  
In the end though, the lure of Outer Space was too much and I WILL continue painting my Bad Moon orks - although really I guess it could be seen as the fast attack aspect of the army consisting mainly of Evil Sunz Warbikers and Snakebite Cyboars. My boss model will be that iconic Bad Moon Boss in power armour, although I have included an Evil Sunz Boss so I guess they *could* take it in turns 😅

Here's a BIGPIC of them all for that thumbnail photo yo


And here's some individual unit pics/points:

CHARACTERS
65....1 x Bad Moon Warboss
35....1 x Evil Sunz BigBoss
54....3 x Mekaniak
18....1 x Painboy

(there are some models that fall in to this category, but I've included them with their units below)

MOBS

120....10 x Bad Moon Orks, from the classic game Space Crusade. These are slightly larger than the other orks, but maybe they've just been far more successful in battle than their obviously more weedier brethren...


146....10 x Orks, from the RTB13 plastic set, one armed with a heavy plasma gun. I've kept the arms separate, as I think they'll be a pain to paint with them glued on. The models you see with their arms attached have been welded together by their previous owner. 


133....7 x Freebooters, which includes one freebooter Kaptin and a boy sporting a heavy plasma gun. This is a unit I'm looking forward to painting up as it will finish my collection of Freebooters. I will add the Mek with the claw and the two Big Squigs (in the EXTRAS pile) to this to round it out to 10. I was going to try and add the pointy bits back onto the missing horns, but I lack the enthusiasm for it :(. 
Aaaaanyhow, crashing on!


362....8 x Evil Sunz Warbikes, which includes one Nob bike. Not gonna lie, I'm dreading painting these, but they are a massive gap in the army so they need to get done.


217....8 x Orks riding Cyboars. Including a Nob to lead them. Conversely, I'm kinda looking forward to painting these. I've not seen a whole unit of them before, so it'll be nice to watch them grow :)
 

50....10 x Gretchin. Everybody loves a runt or two to soak up those pesky incoming shells.

SUPPORT

50....1 x War Buggy with heavy plasma
65....1 x War Buggy with multi melta
50....1 x Scorcha

bleeeergh. Dreading painting these as well. I don't really look forward to painting machines...


141....3 x Ogryns with ripper guns
Nice! Love these, but part of me struggles a little bit that they are not an Ork. I've so many unpainted greenskins, it feels a little bit like a copout including these in the force. Anyway, they'll make for a bit of a buffer unit if my chips are down and I'm looking for a different 'non green' month.



Here's the breakdown:

Characters: 268
Mobs: 962
Support: 306
Total: 1536

This will give me some breathing room to omit some gretchin units if I get broken by the paint... If I do well, and motivation runs high I will hopefully get round to:

EXTRAS
There are plenty of them, but this is what I should be painting.

Some heavy weaponry to bulk out the boys!

Some squigs and assistants. I'm excited to paint the two Big Squigs on the top row. They'll finish off my collection of squigs, and also bulk out that freebooter unit as noted previously. The squig on the bottom row, on the far left is a Necromunda ripper jack, and the squig next to it is from the excellent Knightmare Miniatures range


There are so many more things I could add as an extra, but I will stop here. There is a MASSIVE extra I'd love to get round to, but I'd rather not have the pressure of committing to paint it! If I do paint anything not pictured, I'll timestamp it in the month I do paint it :)
Anyhow...
Here's all the arms and weapons to nail attach on to the boys!




The Overlords Offering

The colour choices chosen by the Benevolent One were powder pink and baby blue. What better colour scheme is there for a genestealer hybrid?

Notably, this is the first model I have varnished and experienced frosting with. I was gutted, but a quick dust with a satin/gloss varnish corrected it enough to be worthy. The base is super simple incase the Overlord wishes to rebase it.

Anyhow, that about wraps it up.
 
Good luck to all the painters participating, and thank you all for looking - until January!

16 comments:

  1. Yours was my favorite last year, I think! And in the previous squad challenge. So I am expecting more greatness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oueff - no pressure then 😅. Thank you, I hope they paint up OK, and I avoid the dread Field of Bones...

      Delete
  2. "I've kept the arms separate, as I think they'll be a pain to paint with them glued on."

    Oh yes.

    "The models you see with their arms attached have been welded together by their previous owner."

    Oh no.

    Good luck with those. And good luck with the buggies as well! I had a bunch of the metal Wartraks kicking around a few years ago and would have been highly tempted to do them in the new school style, an expression in various colours of bare metal. I think the patchwork nature of the kits themselves would be quite well served by that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Hopefully I'll aim to get the bikes out of the way early on whilst motivation runs high. I am very tempted by painting a lot of metal ala drybrush, but I think all over red is going to win... or maybe a mashup with different styles of bikes. Man, I'm all over the shop on this!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad we'll be seeing more of your beautiful Space Orks! Mind you I'd love to see your take on Fantasy Orcs too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I think fantasy for next year...
      maybe...
      :)

      Delete
  4. So many cyboars in one place. And buggies too. And gretchin squigs.... Watching with great anticipation 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. More Orks! I'm so glad you're doing them again! I can't get over how bright and glorious your colouring is - it really lets the character of the older ork range stand out, whilst being refreshingly modern too. Really looking forward to seeing this one develop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really was a concerted effort on my part to try and make them bright last year, and to be honest it was a refreshing change - so much so that I don't think I could go back to a grey or black undercoat :)

      Delete
  6. Loads of great models there. I have a few of the Warbikes and Buggies as well and dread making a start on them, so I'll be looking out for some tips and tricks.
    Good luck! Can't wait to see your progress. These will no doubt be another highlight in the months ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope the progress will be forward 😂. I've made a cherry light start on a bike, and hopefully it looks more daunting than it actually is.

      Time will tell though!

      Delete
  7. Yesss! Your Bad Moons were awesome last year, and I can't wait for these. Eight Cyboarz is enough to make any 40K general soil his britches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great selection, some of my fav models here! Me too, I am trying to set a small force of space orks with that buggy and bikes... it is only three years I am trying to paint them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sooooo slowly plugging away at them now (Feb). Feels like it'll take me at least three years too 😂

      Delete

Search This Blog