Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Dustin's January Goblins (198 points)

The first month draws to a close, and I've managed to knock out a solid number of models:

36 Night Goblins with Short Bows -- 108 points

3 Night Goblin Fanatics -- 90 points


 

Pretty quickly after starting the challenge, I decided to deviate from my intended list (likely to be a recurring theme over the coming months). I added more archers, figuring that I could field them as one big mob or a trio of smaller, nuisance units. Hopefully they can inflict the occasional casualty, or at least release their fanatics, before running away.



The figures are some Kev Adams sculpts from Black Hat Miniatures' now-defunct "Shattered Isles" fantasy range. They're nice, simple sculpts, not much ornamentation compared to the 4th edition Citadel Night Goblins or the more recent Greenskin Wars Doom Goblins, but that just made them easier to paint. I felt that painting a big chunk of infantry at the outset was key to maintaining momentum. Plus, I want to play some games at Cold Wars in March, so it was best to start with the rankest of the rank and file.



A trio of old-school Fanatics rounds out the January submission.

See you in February.

21 comments:

  1. That’s an impressive amount of models you painted! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a little surprised that I pulled it off, honestly.

      Delete
  2. They look great. I have some shattered isles goblins myself and I totally agree. Great ranks and file figs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Shattered Isles stuff is cool, a bit big compared to the 4th edition gobbos, but a pretty good fit with the 3rd edition ones (and the Crooked Claw/Greenskin Wars figures).

      Delete
  3. Uauuhhh!!!
    Great first month!!!
    Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...a solid number of models..." aka: more than anyone else, including the guy painting skavenslaves. Haha. And very well painted. Going to put the rest of us to shame.

    A shame the range of archers is defunct -- I think those are some really nice sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Working out a system for painting a little bit every night, and not being too precious about small details were two things that really helped with my output. I think someone else picked up the Shattered Isles range, but I'm not sure if there's a US distributor for it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, man. I knew I'd eventually fall for the ranks and flanks.

      Delete
  6. Being a devout hater of Night Goblins I have to grudgingly admit that these look pretty sweet. I think the red bows really make the unit for me. I'm also loving your fanatics, but then I have six in my O&G army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean. I think red weapons are pretty crucial for the Night Goblin "look." Hopefully I can help you to overcome your anti-Night Goblin bias. ;)

      Delete
  7. As they say “Nailed it”. Damn those Gobos look awesome. Great work on getting through so many miniatures your first month. I dig you style on the skin and I agree that the red bows make the Night Goblins what they are. I hope you keep the theme throughout your army.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely gobbos! Really like your skin tone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fan flippin tastic! so many Gobbos!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sooo many gobbos! I really like them!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog