Sunday, January 23, 2022

Paul D's January rank and file post for OWAC V (100 points)

Please find below pictures of my initial splashing of paint over rank and file miniatures for OWAC V, these will be playing the part of retainers for my Nippon army for a large game I'm planning to put on at BOYL 2023, yes, this is a very small part of a much larger project.

I'm drawing inspiration from the Osprey - men at arms series, Samurai amries 1550 - 1615AD by SR Turnbull and illustrated by Richard Hook and the Osprey, elite series, Early Samurai 200 - 1500AD by Anthony Bryant and illustrated by Angus McBride. I'm sure my efforts will prove dis-appointing when compared with either set of colour plates, I can, but, try.





A series of pictures of my initial duabing of base colours over my first batch of rank and file archers, followed with a bit of highlights, detail, washes, based and varnished.




I've added a few additional figures from this months 'extra and overs' when basing, so that I can mix in the mono-pose 'C' series figures to give a selection of different poses on the multi-bases. This will give me total of ten figures for January at ten points each, giving a total of a hundred points.

 Final series of pictures following the addition of flock and gravel with pva glue.





So 10 archers + light armour = 100 pts

 Next month more archers.

20 comments:

  1. Amazing work sir!
    I can’t say that I’ve attended BOYL in the past, but I would be tempted to, to see these wonderful figures in action!
    Looking forward to seeing the lot you have planned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comments, BOYL is well worth a visit just to meet the great and the good of those early days of Warhammer, but also, to meet and see those with the same passion for playing, painting and talking about the games and figures as yourself.

      Delete
  2. great work! I like bright colored regiments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there was me thinking I'd toned them down! Thanks

      Delete
  3. I'd love to check out your work at BOYL next year, hopefully life will make it happen! Nice start to your project, good luck with the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These might not make it to BOYL until 2023, unless Mr Beale pulls his proverbial finger out with his Hobgoblins? Time will tell.
      I'll be honest they're a complete $£"&^%* to paint given all those little nooks and crannies, thak god for washes I say.

      Delete
  4. Very nice work Paul. Plus they'll double up for historical games ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Nice to see you here Fimm, are you taking part?

      Delete
  6. 凄い! あしがる はとても上手 でしょう !面白い軍隊! (i.e. great job! Cool army!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never known where to start with painting samurai, but obviously the answer is Osprey books, and now you're bringing the books to life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's start, The hard part will be the samurai and wizards, all ready practicing painting dragons on back banners!.

      Delete
  8. Great to see your reference points for this, and to hear of the grand plans for BOYL '23! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McBride is the go to illustrator and Hook isn't far behind. As for the game I'm planning to have around five hundred Black orcs on the table!

      Delete
  9. I've only ever painted Samurai once for a little diorama I made for my wife's birthday and they're not the easiest subject matter - cracking job on these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Steve, looking forawrd to seeing what you've done.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog