Tuesday, February 1, 2022

AdamH’s Skaven - Rank and File – The myriad masses of matted mercenaries (234 Points)

January, the best month of the OWAC, motivation is high, plenty of models to choose from. It is all downhill from here :P

For the first month I decided to capitalise on the motivation that is high at the start of the challenge to try and push through some of the less exciting models. Now I do genuinely like pretty much all of the models in the Skaven range but I have already painted about 40 clanrats in the previous challenge so at this point it is just a case of bulking up the numbers.

It was time to paint another big mainstay unit of clanrats!


Just like my previous unit I decided to include a couple of the old Rat Ogres to bulk out the unit even further, this is mainly because I find them a little small to accurately represent the hulking monstrosities of actual Rat Ogres, and because I will be adding the 5th edition models later in the challenge and I want them to stand out.

Next up we have a closer shot of the unit command team, went with a different banner type due to not having the space for a traditional hanging style:

Finally just because the models can look a little samey when pictured together I thought I would highlight some of the fun details hiding on them:

My submission for January is as follows:

UNIT

EXTRAS

#

TOTAL

REGIMENTS

Clanrats (6)

Standard (6) Musician (6)

37

234

TOTAL

234

Coming up next month will be more basic troops, I’m going to try and get the unit of Slaves done while my motivation lasts but I might start work on some Giant Rats for a bit of variety.

Thanks for stopping by, as always we have lots of great armies coming along this year so make sure you check out all of the other entries, especially my hippy dippy friend Sam and his flower sniffing forest bois.

11 comments:

  1. Love those!! Exactly what a skaven unit should look like

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love your rats, and these are just more goodness! (Diseased goodness, but goodness all the same)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's about as lovely as a unit of filthy, disease-ridden Ratmen can look! :-)
    Great start to the challenge!
    Nice work on some of those gem and bottle details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Or is it nasty? But I like them! 🙂 also reminds me that I have Mordheim warband's worth of these stashed somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are sick and disgusting! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be honest never really been a fan of Skaven, but I'm coming round to the idea, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the flower bois are coming bb, fresh with a permit for some pest control!

    Looking fab as always dude, absolutely love the extra details they really pop. Can't wait to see the ridiculousness of the whole swarm once your done

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always like a unit with different sized miniatures in it - really gives the feeling of an unruly horde. Cracking job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I secont Thantsants on this, the bigger rats look ideal as a unit filler. They look glorious in their swarmitude. Great start (good luck with the slaves!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots to appreciate and enjoy here! Great idea to use the older Rat Ogres as unit filler in the clan rats. I could see the same working very well in a unit of slaves. The yellow is a very Skaveny yellow (Rat Urine Yellow?) and really works well for the unit. The alternative banner is also a really good touch. Cracking unit, well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a fearsome looking chittering swarm! Great colour palette those bleak browns (is that "bubonic brown" for the clothes?) add to the general character. Great banner and nice warpstone details. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog