Monday, March 28, 2022

ZeroTwentythree's March Undead (198 pts.)

March Entry

Rank & File

6 Death Riders w/lances and shields ......... 138



I really started this project with a 100% serious fast attack type strike-force  in mind. Somehow that devolved (or is it evolved) into skeletons on flamingos. There's a viral photo to blame.

The concept behind this year's OWAC project was born around Halloween 2021. We had a Halloween music station playing in our dining room for weeks. There were two triggers for me. The primary one was Donovan's "Season of the Witch", which became Season of the Liche. The other, which lurked in the back of my skull for a while, was a photo shared on Facebook of some plastic skeletons riding on flamingo lawn ornaments. Not only did I stumble upon it myself but several friends shared it with me. I *think* this is the photo:


I had every intention of rehabilitating some old Citadel plastic cavalry, as explained & photographed in my introduction post as well as some behind the scenes pics in the private OWAC FB group. At some point, for better or for worse, I found these Playmobil flamingos, started experimenting with a couple of test figures, then cutting up & repositioning legs... and here we are.

Except that was not the end of it.
 
Because my garden will now have these (as soon as it stops snowing).
 


And when I needed to travel to Florida for work a few weeks ago, instead of staying at a hotel as I normally would, I booked this Air B&B, specifically because of the decor.



And that's not the end of it... But why dump all the flamingo obsession in one entry. No, best to save some for next time. ;)

 
I had plans for more of my core project, plus bonus figures, terrain, etc. but all I managed this month was another necromancer, The Overlord, Master of the Field of Bones, seen here explaining the rules of the Challenge to the members.

I figured if I'm going to model the Field of Bones (and I'm not done with that yet), it should have an Overlord.



March Rank & File Month

6 Death Riders w/Lances, Shields....... 138 pts
1 Overlord (lv. 5 necromancer)........ 60 pts

March Total: 198 pts
Grand Total: 883 pts.

10 comments:

  1. More flamingos! More pink! (more rainbows?) Most excellent Overlord, I love the fig! (maybe needs a maple leaf or something Canadian to be master of the Field of Bones, LOL?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skeletons riding flamingos are always gong to win the internet, and yours are no exception! :)

    Love the Overlord mini too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lovechild of Clash of the Titans and Alice in Wonderland! awesome Unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I hadn't thought of that. But you're not wrong either! :D

      Delete
  4. Mad! Love it :)
    Realy like the rust and the shield gradient

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Those are two of my favorite parts of painting the undead. The rust is weirdly free-form & feels "creative". The shield gradient is always the last thing to be done and the wet blending is such a satisfying way to complete the project.

      Delete

Search This Blog