Sunday, May 29, 2022

goblinpaladin's Wood Elves II - a May Rank & File update (559 points)

                                             ..he mid bordum het
wyrcan þone wihagan   and þæt werod healdan
fæste wið feondum.         Þa wæs feohte neh,
tir æt getohte.                   Wæs seo tid cumen
þæt þær fæge men           feallan sceoldon.

   - The Battle of Maldon, lines 101-105.

'old' is a state of mind right

As I warned in my introductory post, some of the models I had planned are modern plastics rather than weighty old lead, as is true and righteous. However, none of you objected, so this is my offering for May:

CHARACTERS
Eada the Noble (95 points)

RANK ⁊ FILE
11 Guards with standard, musician (195 points)
18-strong Warrior Kinband with spears, shields, light armour, standard, musician (240 points)
Shapechanger with spear (29 points)

All of these lads are available from North Star, part of the Oathmark range (except the Grenadier shapechanger in the spearmen).

Oathmark elf archers

I don't know how I settled on twelve as the number for the elite archer regiment - possibly some ancient battle report had those numbers, or I just wanted to emphasise their elite status by having a regiment outside my usual 'divisible by five' formula. At any rate, here they are.

I made sure they were well-armed (each archer has a longsword and a knife) to visually cue their elite status. Their robes are trimmed in white, the elven colour of mourning, giving them a more uniform appearance than the warrior kinbands.

Oathmark elf king (conversion)

Eada the Noble is a very minor conversion of the Oathmark elf king model; I clipped off his left arm and gave him a bow. Either his quiver is under his cloak or it's magic; whatever. His colours tie into his men, but he's brought his own gloves, a handsome red cloak, and a lochaber axe.

Oathmark elf spearmen (some converted)

My second infantry regiment is also made up of Oathmark plastics, although several of these are converted with spears and a draco from historical ranges. The musician and unit leaders are Oathmark metals, while the burly fellow on our left is a Grenadier model serving as a shapechanger.

Celarn leads from the front

As with the last kinband, these warriors are led by a Melnibonean whom I painted long, long ago. He's also gained a new shield (with a design also unlikely to be historical but kind of perfect for wood elves!).

eagle-eye view

While they are all the same plastic sculpt, giving them shields from a handful of ranges with transfers from all over the place has kept them from feeling like a uniformed Asur-style regiment and more like the kinband that they are.

shieldwall!

Of course, I did manage to screw up more of the Little Big Man transfers than I successfully used, but they are actually very good.

my poor broken phone

These regiments were mostly fun to paint. Did I regret assembling the archers with all their kit before painting them? Yes. Have I learned from my mistakes? Absolutely not. I also continue to prefer pre-made banners to having to cut paper banners out with scissors, apparently having never mastered the skill of a five-year-old.

Interior illustration for Warhammer Fantasy Battles (5th edition)
David Gallagher. © Games Workshop, 1996

Coming up next: Something Trish-tastic...

16 comments:

  1. Love the figs and regiments, they make great wood elves! There was a real Battle of Maldon? I thought Monty Python made that up (and fought it with ladies hitting each other with handbags) The things you learn doing OWAC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, it's a real battle, and the poem is one of my favourites.

      Fun fact, the 'Bruce' sketch is based on a seminal Anglo-Saxonist who taught the Python guys at university, an Australian named Bruce Mitchell.

      Delete
  2. Those Oathmark minis are such a great range - they're looking brilliant with your colour scheme on them, and they mix right on seamlessly in there. I'm envious of all the converting you do. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they have a real old school vibe!

      I've not done much converting in this project, but thanks! I do like the spearman with spears at thrust.

      Delete
  3. Cool unit. I really lile the elf king

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's great. A pity to downgrade him to a minor champion but the unit needed one that matches their aesthetic!

      Delete
  4. No shame in using modern minis if they tie in with the army feel you are going for, and these definitely do. Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it, but it is the OLD World Army Challenge, so it's polite to check first.

      Delete
  5. More excellent work and useful to see how well the Oathmark minis blend in with oldhammer stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We'll see how well it all fits together in the big final photoshoot!

      Delete
  6. They definitely have an old school vibe and work really well. Lovely paintwork as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Hopefully! Now I just need to persuade people to play 3rd edition with me.

      Delete
  8. I really love all the different shields/coats of arms, they bring a lot to the unit, and definitely tell a story of warriors with different origins banding together, very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog