Saturday, February 10, 2024

Adrian's Rank & File month 1 - Sharpshooters! (217 points)

 

The high elves are proud of their archery skills since their rise as an empire. Professional armies made good use of this elite troops. However, after the war of the beard and the disbandment of large portions of the once majestic imperial elf army, these corps have been made of trained levies.

Still highly skillful archers besting the elite marksmen of other races and usually commanded by war veterans.

By the time of the crisis of Tor Nimtala, one of the last settlements on the continent, Nevarth's Sharpshooters were an effective combat unit capable of defend themselves against hordes of greenskins and beastmen harassing their domain.

Nevarth's worked with the lack of support from Ulthuan after the High King's order of abandoning the continent, and opted to mix the levies from the tiranoc and nagarythean lineages of his lieges, in order to boost their camaraderie in case that the unit shall increase their numbers in a major conflict.



They sport the colours of the differnt houses and mix together to compose a colorful and lethal unit. If you see their banner, you're about to get a deadly shoot.



Apart of my theme of a combined army of Nagarythe and Tiranoc levies, I used the mixed colours and patterns to improve the character of the unit. I love the monopose archers and think that they retain much more character and are in every way better than more modern plastics or even many of the 3rd party attempts at elf archers.

However, as we all know, a regiment, not even a large one, can be tedious to paint and boring to display with only one pose available.

12x Archers with a Champion, banner and musician - 217 points

Lastly, my secret santa's offering



Sorry for the blurry picture of the front, but I almost forgot to take the photos besides it has been painted even before knowing that Mariano was my secret santa.

Next month, hope that I can complete the spearmen in time (with mixed colours AND freehanded shields!).

Until then, Adrian's out.

9 comments:

  1. I love the idea of mixed houses. It breaks up the monotony of painting units. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that approach to the colour scheme. Some of the nicest work I've seen done on these old chaps. Particularly like the kimono-esque patterning on the 'skirts' (?). Like the banding on the bows too, I did something similar on my WElves to just create a bit of variation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Jeebus - the freehand looks amazing. I really like the dark green robes. Stunnin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I don't think I've seen Elves done like this before, they have a rather feudal Japan feel to them? Really making the best of these minis, I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Really good point - they look like Samurai style silks. I hadn't spotted it until you mentioned it but now I love them even more!

      Delete
  5. Lots of nice things to discover from the photos. The colour choices are really nice, the banner is awesome, the skirt patterns are a great idea and your work on the gems is exquisite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - patterned robes looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMFG!!! These are BEAUTIFUL! From one High Elf collector/painter to another, my hat is off to you sir!

    What a gorgeous colour palette and the detailing on the cloth is absolutely cracking! Bonus points for the use of the spearman as a standard bearer, and for the really fantastic banner itself.

    The secret santa present is just awesome! You have made that Swordmaster look like an Eldar Aspect Warrior and I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on these! Those small freehand details add so much depth and character!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog