Friday, February 2, 2024

Ben's Eldar - OWAC VII - Rank and File Month 1

The blue stone representing the Spirit Walkers moved off cautiously, and on the battlefield the great war-machines strode forward.  In his multi-compartmented mind a dozen potential futures blossomed.  He saw the machines fall blasted by heavy weapons.  He saw them stride among the dreadnoughts and engage them in melee.  He saw them stumble on rough ground.

In the air the red runes rearranged themselves.  In his mind's eye he saw the human heavy weapons belch.  Flowers of flame bloomed at the feet of the spirit walkers.  Kelmon reeled, feeling the pattern of the conflict emerging from the maelstrom of probability.

I've enjoyed getting stuck into the pile of primed potential this month, and after some initial faffing, my Christmas present of a lightbox really helped with photographing them (thanks Mrs F).  First I painted some Wraithguard, a Dreadnought/Wraithlord, and a Warlock/Wraithseer to guide them through the mortal realm:



The dreadnought has a loincloth banner made from tomato paste tube foil and greenstuff that was not too neatly done but painted up okay.  Some of the icons come from transfers I bought as a 14 year old to decorate my Epic army - many fell to pieces as they came off the paper, but enough survived - looks like I have to get some matte or satin varnish to dull them down though!  

Then, a I painted couple more jetbikes with converted riders to add to a squad I painted in a different challenge last year, again with a foil banner, and a squad of Aspect Warriors from the rare Dusk Stalker shrine:



I hope a ranger themed shrine on Alaitoc fits in with the association of that craftworld with scouts.  They are made from scouts with metal guardian add-ons - 2nd edition shuriken rifles, and 3rd edition storm guardian heads.  The Exarch has half a high elf head atop half a guardian head.  It was a fun exercise but I'm not doing any more - it definitely cured me of nostalgia for converting metal models.  Not so much the extra force required to cut them, but the overshooting that follows meaning gems get squared off and shoulderpad edges trimmed.

The last thing I painted was a mini-squad of Striking Scorpions to round off a squad I painted last year (after I was finally able to pick a few more models up for a reasonable price). To accompany them, Phoenix Lord Karandras who was as fun to paint as I remember the first time.  I originally painted this model for my mate almost 30 years ago, and he kindly gave it to me to strip and repaint for this challenge.


Finally, here is my challenge entry fee for Chris P's Orks - a Rogue Trader era Runtbot with a later goblin wolf rider banner.  Runtbots don't feature in the 2nd edition codex, but I'm hoping it could count as a Gretchin Standard Bearer for his Goff Clan, or failing that a Gretchin Assistant:


Month 1 total - 900 pts
Warlock, Singing Spear – 76 pts
Exarch (converted), Shuriken Catapult, Power Sword – 61 pts
Karandras – 150 pts
2 Guardians, Jetbike with Shuriken Catapults, Jetbike with Shuriken Cannon – 67 pts
4 Dire Avengers (converted) – 88 pts
3 Striking Scorpions – 78 pts
5 Wraithguard – 175 pts
Dreadnought, Extra Distortion Cannon – 205 pts

7 comments:

  1. Great start, love that nice clean yellow and I'm glad that at least some of those old decals held together for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a start! I like your colour choices and the classic freehand thorns on the dreadnoughts leg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely done! Nice crisp colors and glad the decals worked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like me some 2nd Ed. Eldar and these are very fine examples

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lissanne and I are both strong supporters of Team Eldar and you came out swinging. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ermergerd! That's quite some start - awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just fab! The design and conversion of the Dusk Stalker Aspect Warriors (and Exarch in particular) are great, and I love that the Phoenix lord has been gifted from a friend and repainted and reborn in this way. That feels very in keeping with the lore for the Aspect Warriors and the succession of their Phoenix Lords.

    And what a great Secret Santa mini! :D

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog