Sunday, February 11, 2024

Paul's Wood Elves of Avelorn: Rank and File 1: Archers sir, thousands of 'em! (506 pts)



Boom! A productive first month despite some additional obstacles away from the painting table. I decided to throw myself into the biggest unit straight away, or at least half of it at first, so I could start with some very basic plastic monopose sculpts. At the beginning of the month it honestly felt like all I was capable of painting through the post Christmas cheese fog, and it also gave me a chance to settle on a colour palette before I get to my elites later on. 




This strategy seems to have served me well as I was able to move on to the second half of the unit (which at one point was scheduled to be February's entry) and the command minis, as well as my entry fee mini (see below).












The colour scheme has ended up having a few themes or inspirations. I've continued with black undercoat, yes, even for Elves, which has resulted in slightly muted tones even when electing for bright colours as I have in green, red, and golden brown.  This has worked OK in my mind as I get the sense of a turning of the seasons and if we were going for a seasonal thematic (as many do for Wood Elves) then these are probably late Summer/Early Autumn, with the deep wine red reminding me of the nearly translucent red leaves you see at that time of year. 



The strong red and green for this main unit of the army was a slightly organic but not unwelcome tie in with the Caledor theming of my larger High Elf army. Still, I can't help thinking they look like "Rosy Apple" boiled sweets, which are also a blast of nostalgia so I don't hate that association either :)



I was considering just adding some red and green pennants to the standard and getting it finished this month, but I've decided I want to do some proper banners, so I will return to that later in the challenge.

Total for the month:

32 Wood Elf Archers (Hand weapons, Longbows) 11 pts each - 352
Wood Elf Archer Standard Bearer and Musician 22 pts each - 44 pts
Wood Elf Archer Champion (Hand weapon, Longbow) - 51
Wood Elf Mage (Hand weapon) - 59

Total: 506 pts



Entry Fee Secret Santa Mini:

My entry fee mini is a Wood Elf Musician circa WFB3. Up until very recently I thought it was a duplicate of the musician from the old Scarlok's Archers regiment of renown, who will make an appearance later in my challenge, but on closer inspection it seems that the sculpts may be related, but are not quite duplicates. It seemed the perfect entry fee mini given the number of Wood Elf armies being painted this year.





I've painted him in the same late summer/early autumn colour palette as the rest of January's output, but have hopefully made him a bit brighter and bolder with his green hair and red boots. I do like the process of painting up a mini for someone else, and think it really adds something to the OWAC., so he was painted with love and will be in the post to his new home soon :) 


Tom's bony bit:



This month I have  finished two refurbished units of Skeleton Warriors,  and created 2 new  skeletal beastmen. I found making them quite challenging (sticking the cheeky things together!) but I found choosing my own bits to create my own skeleton beastmen very fun. 



I've included beastmen because I want to show all my Dad's armies I've defeated and used to raise my skeletons, so I also plan to use High Elf and Orc and Goblin parts later in the OWAC.



I have used a mix of Vallejo and Citadel acrylics and contrast paints using the dark red as one of the theme colours for my OWAC project to match my undead giant and dragon which I painted last Summer.


Next month I shall be painting my Wraiths and Ghosts as I will need a break from my cheeky skeletons ! :)


Total for the month:

16 Skeleton  Spearmen inc. musician and standard bearer (w/ spears and shields) - 180 pts
14 Skeleton Warriors 
inc. musician and standard bearer (w/ hand weapon and shields) -  144 pts

Total: 324 pts

Good luck for the next month,

Tom


Well, that's it from us. It feels great to get the first month under our belts, but boy has it been a tough month away form the OWAC. The hobby has been a real refuge this month and I have really felt the benefit of bonding with my son, therapeutic batch painting, and the generosity of the group in the form of my Secret Santa entry fee mini arriving on a day when I really needed a boost. 

Thanks as always to everyone taking part and keeping it thriving, it really is a great thing to be a part of and this is just the beginning! :)




18 comments:

  1. Nice to see the team effort. I love the smack talk from your son (great job and very oldhammer. Well done).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't encourage him!!!

      Well... do encourage him, but you know what I mean :p

      Delete
  2. Great job by both of you. That's a prodigious amount of painting you've both done this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! I missed this comment first time around so apologies for the delay replying :)

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of Elves (and a lot of cheeky skeletons, too).

    Interesting to see the colour scheme as I tried to do something very, very similar but on different Wood Elf models and couldn't make it work. Looking at yours, I think the problem was the models, not the colours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Batch painting was the secret here. The softer monopose sculpts from the Middlehammer era are very much a blank canvas in some ways, but for that reason they can lend themselves to some brighter colour schemes. They definitively have their limitations though!

      Delete
  4. Ahahahaaaaaah! Defeating your army only to add to his. Epic! 😂 But, yeah 30+ minis each is a massive amount - congrats 💪👊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, he cheated because his cheeky skeletons were refurbs, but whatever... ;) :p

      He was actually really dedicated, and mostly patient enough to go through each step of the process properly. I think he actually learnt something from it!

      Delete
    2. Tom says: Thanks! I will look forward to reading your posts :)

      Delete
  5. I love the fact that Tom is using skeletons from defeated dad's armies! And 65 painted models put together? Great work both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's even started press moulding shields from my armies to use as basing material - the cheek of it! :p

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Tom says: Thanks for the support! I'm considering raising some Orc Zombies in the future :)

      Delete
    4. Press moulding dad's shields is exactly the thing to do! I hope to see some in the coming months

      Delete
  6. A team project, that's a wonderful idea and the result will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      We are looking forward to having a battle with our painted forces at the end :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the support! We are both reading comments together and enjoying being part of the project and the OWAC community :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very productive start to the challenge! Well done both!
    I really like the colour scheme for the Elves - the autumnal reds and browns work well together and the small variations really break up the uniformity of the group.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog