Sunday, February 11, 2024

Samuel's Empire: Grand Army of Nuln - Rank & File I: Captain Gruber's Guard

Okay so month one was a real slog. Caught a cold halfway through the month and then just managed to recover when my son brough home a stomach bug which took the whole family out for a week.

On top of that the Perry twin sculpts whilst incredibly beautiful miniatures are busy as all hell. It makes painting them very meticulous especially at the initial base coat colouring stages of the process. Probably the longest it’s ever taken me to basecoat a unit.

Anyhow that said I think that these are the finest paintjobs I’ve ever managed to achieve, and I’m really very pleased with them. During last years OWAC I really defined my painting style and the results are paying dividends. So, I couldn’t be happier and look forwards to painting up the rest of the army over the coming months.

The Black Guard, commissioned from the Nuln city guard with a lucrative offer. Of course lucrative normally means suicidal mission, so made up of those in crippling gambling debt, on offers to defer jail time or young and under the impression that they are invincible.





Captain Marcus Gruber, retired professional soldier and recent widower who has taken on the lucrative if doomed double commission to give himself something to do rather than drink himself into a stupor. 


For my not so secret Santa I have rat king himself AdamH, the 13th member of the council. Some years ago in order to rope me back into oldhammer after a beer fueled discussion on the matter he purchased me some Pink Horrors, just incase I decided to back out or the like (little did he know I'd already dropped a couple of hundred on evilBay). Until now I've not managed to find a fitting army for them even though I do like me some Tzeentch. However given the circumstances I thought it fitting that I paint one in tribute to his kindness:


Next month will either be the Nuln Ironsides (Handgunners) or the artillery batteries.


Peace Out

Samuel

 



8 comments:

  1. That is one hell of an impressive block. Awesome colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful unit, you can certainly see the effort that's gone into those

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work with those colours and the banner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super clean and crisp paintwork - they look brilliant. Amazing banner too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive work! That unit will surely look great on the battlefield. Also, I couldn't agree more with the previous comments: awesome work with the banner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations sir! This is a fine looking unit that looks straight out of the pages of a White Dwarf battle report. What a brilliant OWAC success story in terms of defining your style last year and then turning these beauties out in the first month! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great-looking unit! The red, yellow and black combo works so well in catching the eye! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog