Monday, March 4, 2024

Shadespyre's February Post - Rank and File II - 3rd Edition Wood Elves(and friends?) (597 points)

OWAC VII - Rank and File Month (II) - A Feeling of Deja Vu

February

Lost some time this month to one of those horrible head colds which drains your ability to concentrate, but did my best to plod on through it. This means I got less finished than I might have done, but there's lots of unfinished things in progress, so overall I'm in a good position still.

But let's stick to the finished things, for now. These might look somewhat familiar...


A second unit of Oreon's archers. This is the paler, "Spring" colour scheme. This unit has the same trooper models (of course) but includes the Musician (with the shield) and Champion from that Regiment of Renown.


And this is a second unit of Skarloc's archers. Again, this is the "Spring" colouration, but this unit is also distinct from the "Summer" one because I used all of the unhooded sculpts this time around. For a command group, this time we see the original musician and standard bearer / wizard. But the Champion here is actually another Middle Earth miniature, this time Legolas himself! This is the version from the Fellowship of the Ring boxed set (BME1, 1985) - strangely there are THREE different Legolas sculpts (plus a fourth on horseback) in this short-lived range (this also applies to most of the other main characters from Lord of the Rings.)

These are finished to one step further than last month's offering, because I've painted in the eyes. In the same way though, they still require basing and a few extra highlights to be counted as "done". I've assembled a big stash of basing materials now, and once I have some models in the "Autumn" colour scheme I shall look at what to use to bring them all together.

Apologies that I still haven't put paint on the Hidden Reserves yet, but with so many Elves under my belt already I hope to squeeze some in soon.


Army List Additions:

Scores for February:       579    points   32 models

15 x Archers                (Shields, Musician )                                                                 192 points

1 x Hero (Level 5)       (Light Armour, Great Weapon, Longbow)                          55 points

15 x Lord's Bowmen    (Light Armour, Standard, Musician)                                  238 points

1 x Hero (Level 10)       (Light Armour, Additional Hand Weapon, Longbow)    94 points                

Running Total:          1207  points  64  models

Technically, this means I've already overtaken the traditonal OWAC minimum requirement of 40 ranks and file models and at least one character and at least 1000 points, which is nice.

Next Time

Something Autumnal



17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, 64 archers in your army already and you have four more months to go. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go early, go hard - that's my OWAC method. I've got all those Hidden Reserves to paint if I get ahead of schedule, after all.

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely seeing the connection to your previous armies both in terms of painting style (which seems to fit the older sculpts so well in my mind) and in the careful curation of manufacturers and miniature lines to give a coherent feel to the force overall, and then skilful selection of sculpts to form units with identifiable character within that. Top stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, this observation means a lot to me. It's all about the miniatures so I'm glad if it looks like I'm thinking about what I use where, because I am!

      I think I've actually simplified my painting method from OWAC to OWAC, it's all about reaching an effect I'm happy with in the time I want to spend. I'm sure it would be faster still with contrast paints etc, but there's also speed in sticking to what I know.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love the scheme! The subtle shift between greens is very elegant and otherworldly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like you've picked up that there are three greens, not two, on these units. I was worried that they had come out to similar, but if that seems subtle, elegant and otherworldly then I am very happy, thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Your output's been nothing short of phenomenal. So many archers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please check the rules.
    It's 1 army in 6 months, not 6 armies in 1 month!

    Exceptional work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is some incredible progress! More archers than I'll have in 2000pts and all done to a great standard within a single short month. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're doing great work and big numbers too, but thanks. And I'll have more archers because there are going to be more than 2000 points, if I can get deep into the Hidden Reserves I'll be getting towards 8000!

      Delete
  8. Wow - amazing quantity and such high quality! Seriously impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Possibly more the former than the latter, but thanks! :)

      Delete
  10. they are super green :D
    great paint work !

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog