Friday, November 24, 2017

Andrea’s Dryads, the Wood Elves army Special Branch


 November’s quota: the Dryads unit (210 pts)

This is not the first time I painted this sculpts, as in my first Wood Elves army (1996-1999) the Dryads unit has a major role. Now, after 20 years, 6 new Dryads and a different way to paint. Back in the ’96 I used to paint these minis with a massive use of dry-brush; this time I opted for a different approach. 


I started with a zenithal-like priming, basecoat entirely black and then a thin layer of white primer given by a single direction. 




I hoped the result would have been a paint with a light direction. Well, I had to say the hoped light effect is not particularly evident (uhm… ok, it is not evident at all!). Anyway I am quite happy with paint job.



Another point is the base: contrary to my standards, consisting of golf course-like green grass bases, this time I used some kind of synthetic foliage from railway models. This is a classical green foliage intermingled with yellow/red/blue spots. Beside giving more color to the whole thing with respect to my former standards, it looks as being more like a forest floor.




Next month: the spearmen unit and four wardancers (coming soon). I’ll try to obtain more from the zenithal-like priming ;-)





12 comments:

  1. Very cool... I always thought these models had a lot of character and you've done a great job with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in fact these are among my favourite models in the WE range! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Very nice indeed! I've got a bunch of these too and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great. Love the ones with green faces. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also love the green faces! Really nice painting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on these. I don't even own an airbrush, so I didn't even notice. Good call on the basing, it does give the feel of fallen leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Special Branch...harharhar....lookin good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work!!! Let see what can yo do with the spearmen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work. Love the green on their faces contrasting the brown. I'm a fan of the before and after pictures

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog