Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Qrab's Chaos: The Warband Wrap-up

After many months it's time for my final post for the inaugural Old World Army Challenge. Leading up to this, each month brought the dual pressure of painting the models and blogging about which actually served as inspiration for writing the blog. Whether it was reminiscing about the models selected for the month, my success (or failure) with painting those models, and/or plans for the following month, there was always something to say. Now that the challenge is over, I find myself somewhat at a loss for words. However, I suspect most folks don't care about my ramblings and would rather just see pictures of classic miniatures from the golden age of Citadel. So, let me start with a shot of the entire army painted for the challenge:

Lord Duherst the Master Butcher's Warband

The army itself breaks down as follows:

Lord Duherst the Master Butcher
Level 15 Deathsteer                                                                     190 points

Dungfang
Troll                                                                                                65 points

Eric Umbrand's Earthshakers
10 Chaos Marauders with great weapons and standard              410 points

Hakkon's Reavers
10 Chaos Thugs with longbows, standard, and musician            132 points

Iyan and Nyk - The Dog Brothers
2 Beastmasters with 8 Chaos Hounds                                         218 points

Which is joined by a Chaos Allies Contingent consisting of:

Amon Duul
Level 20 Soulflayer                                                                      240 points

Chaos Dwarf Mortar                                                                      42 points
Chaos Dwarf Bazuka                                                                     70 points

Combined, the total point value of the army I painted for the challenge is 1367 points, which is pretty effin' awesome. 

Here are the close ups of each unit:

Duherst the Master Butcher

Dungfang the Troll


Eric Umbrand's Earthshakers

Hakkon's Reavers

Dog-brother Iyan

Dog-brother Nyk

Amon Duul's Chaos Ally Contingent

As I mentioned my introductory blog entry, the models painted for this challenge will join a Chaos Sorcerer and unit of Marauders I painted back in 2014-2015. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a photo of them all together, so you'll just have to settle for one of the sorcerer and the unit.

Hutk-Nke Plague Priest and Khane the Mighty's Marauders

Now that the pictures are over, some final thoughts. As intended, I found the challenge to be great motivation to put a dent in my collection of unpainted lead models. I've owned some of the models for more than 30 years, so it feels pretty good to finally get some paint on them. My job sporadically requires me to travel out of town for up to four nights out of the week, so going into the challenge I had a real concern that it would affect my ability to meet the monthly goal. I'm happy to say that not only was I able to make it through the challenge without using my mulligan, I was able to paint models for a bonus blog entry.

The challenge has also got me thinking about starting a painting blog of my own.

There was a downside to the challenge, though. Spending month after month handling and painting these old models just made me want more. I'm afraid to do the math, but between the Oldhammer Trading Company and eBay, I have no doubt I acquired more miniatures than I painted. Wait, who am I kidding, that's not a downside at all!

Going forward, these models will pull double duty. If I can find a local Oldhammer enthusiast, then they'll be used to fight some battles using the 3rd edition rules. Until that time, however, they will form the beginning of an army for a project a buddy and I are calling 6th Age, which is basically 6th edition WFB with some rules tweaks (like push back from 3rd ed.). So as I add to the army, the models selected will need to be useful in both editions. I haven't decided for sure, but I think the next model I want to add is a Chaos Dwarf Whirlwind (which will proxy as a Chaos Chariot in 6th ed.).

I'm not sure what I'll do for the next challenge (assuming there is one). I'd like to use it as a motivator to paint an Empire army, but with the way I paint and the low point cost per model, I'm just not sure I'd be able to finish 200 points a month. My hat is off to those folks who elected to paint low point cost armies this time.

In closing, thanks to the people who organized and managed the challenge - despite the pressure it was a lot of fun and has created some outstanding armies. Congratulations to the others who completed the challenge - doing so was quite an accomplishment. Condolences those who ended up in the field of bones - it could have happened to any one of us.

I'll end this post with the obligatory Warhammer Armies style photo:
Contemplating what to do with my life now that the challenge is over

25 comments:

  1. A wonderful army led by my favorite minotaur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can’t decide which Minotaur lord I like best; this one or Ox-Roar Chaos Champion of Ultimate Slaughter.

      Delete
  2. Amazing job! Here are some of my favourite minis, and maybe one day I will have a chaos warband nice like yours! Possibly, the next OWAC will see me painting a chaos force?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do recommend chaos for the next OWAC for the simple fact that you have flexibility to choose low or high cost models based on what you think your painting schedule will be like.

      Delete
  3. Great force! Love your metal work especially, and props for doing elaborate bases all the way.

    "I'm not sure what I'll do for the next challenge (assuming there is one)."

    Give us a 6 months to recuperate, but you can be sure there's going to be a Part II! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It takes some effort, but I think these old models deserve bases that compliment their awesomeness.

      I’m going to do my best to be ready for the next OWAC (I think I even have a list to work with), but I can definitely use some time to recuperate.

      Delete
  4. You have some great figures in this army, I'm glad the challenge motivated you to paint them. Kudos to you for keeping up and adding bonus stuff with such a hectic schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This challenge was a great motivator.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic paint jobs and extra points for the elaborate bases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As I mentioned above, the bases took work, but I think they definitely go well with the models.

      Delete
  6. With your talent with the brush I'd definitely start a blog of your own. Your army looks fantastic!

    I too have had my chaos minis since I was a young lad. it's great to see yours getting some attention.

    You said your looking for opponents to use your army against, where about's are you from?

    Once again, excellent painting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I shall have to think of a name for the blog if I start one, and all the good names are taken.

      I’m in San Diego, which is a big enough city that I should be able to find some Oldhammer opponents, but so far no luck.

      Delete
  7. Man that's inspiring! Love the Maruader marauders lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I seriously regret not picking up more Marauder Miniatures back in the day.

      Delete
  8. I agree with Bulldog! Inspirational! Great figures...great paint jobs and a job well done. Here's hoping they get blooded on the table top soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If the don’t see battle under 3rd edition rules, then they will under 6th edition rules.

      Delete
  9. Really nice looking chaos army man! You should be proud!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it does feel pretty good to have these models painted up.

      Delete
  10. Tremendous work. I love those old Chaos sculpts. Now I really need to add a Minotaur or 7 to my army.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful tones, I really like this army. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chaos done properly.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog