Monday, January 7, 2019

Dave's Undead Horde

My last foray into the Old World began with the creeping tendrils of winter groping, slithering and finally smothering the land with their icy grip, so it is fitting that today, at the start of a new campaign, the snow is yet again falling in my native Naggaroth (that's pronounced "Canada," eh? All the other letters are silent!). But this snow is not like the last year's snow... it is icy, hard and sinister. It crackles against the window, like the scraping of bones or the grinding of ancient teeth. It reminds me of another land wherein I spent much of my youth—the mountains that crisscross the Old World, arching like the half-buried spine of some immense creature picked clean by the carrion's beak. With games like Warhammer Quest and the expansions Catacombs of Terror, I was continuously drawn in my childhood to the World's Edge Mountains, seeking adventure, wealth and danger.


There, amidst those windswept peaks, where no life could ever abide, strange creatures are said to roam. Some soar over the barren, chill landscape, casting silent shadows on any hapless and lost prey below. Others claw at the walls of their entombment, waiting for the day that they can once against stalk the lands of the living.


Sounds like fun, right? And thus am I impelled in my second excursion into the wild and wooly world of OWAC to select the Undead for my army of choice. I have long been a fan of this army, having gazed for hours into the pages of the army book throughout my heady youth. Yet I have never had a proper chance to collect and paint an army of undeath. And so, since the last OWAC, I have been scheming, plotting, cackling in the night and doing other various things that annoy the wife. My ancient plans are now put into action, as my hoarding and collecting across the last year is finally coming to fruition. BEHOLD!


I know, it might not be much to look at now, but before you stands the beginning of a mighty Undead horde! It is a remarkably small force (and "dead" easy to paint, mind!), but it is also surprisingly versatile. In this picture, you have no fewer than two types of infantry (Wraiths and Skeletons), two types of cavalry (Carrion and Skeleton Horsemen), a combined wizard and lord (the Vampire) and a war machine (the Screaming Skull Catapult). All of this in a remarkably small package. Let's see the breakdown.

KRAVAG'S CAIRN HOST (1,000 pts)
Vampire Lord ~ 375 pts
5 Skeleton Horsemen (Spears, Shields) ~ 110 pts
9 Skeleton Warriors (Spears) ~ 81 pts
3 Carrion ~ 135 pts
3 Wraiths ~ 225 pts
Screaming Skull Catapult ~ 74 pts

A thousand points on the nasal cavity and only 24 models in total! This will be very convenient for me, as this year's OWAC is coming at a bit of a crunch time in terms of my other worldly responsibilities. If it turns out to be "too easy" (Hah! Remind me to look back at this post after the challenge is done and I am slumped over the painting table!), then I have a second plan... needless to say, you may see some unexpected treats when all is said and done. But first things first. Let the challenge begin! Kravag compels thee!


7 comments:

  1. Undead AND Canadian...welcome brother!

    Enjoyed the post, very evocative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up! Looking forward to seeing them painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the Challenge mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with these. Using 4th edition makes it a little easier to include a Vampire I think. Never played Wahammer Quest, the book looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, those carrion... among my favourite minis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, it’s just like 1996 again. I hold my black undead book dear to my blackened, ensorcelled, heart

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog