Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Sam's Savage Orcs - The one where we all realized the plague is awful, but it sure works wonders for the painting schedule (203pts)

Now, I don’t want to be the one to point fingers, but it seems to me that there are an awful lot of Skaven players succeeding at the challenge this time around, at the same time as which we have a nasty spreading plague. Coincidence? Some might call it so, but me, I’ve got my squeaky suspicions! (Definitely that Adam H.) I mean lets face it, in previous challenges when they all respectfully failed to finish painting ridiculous amounts of Skaven slaves and succumbed to the inevitability of two point models, as any reasonable person would, we never had such problems. I imagine they all slunk back down to the under empire, tails between their legs, taking their nasty plague with them. Now though they are rife, brazenly out here knocking out scores and scores per month like there is nothing too it. A veritable vermintide! I wouldn't be surprised if it was their nefarious plan all along, to be the last ones standing! Well, they didn't think that through did they, overplayed their hand. Now that we are all stuck indoors, there is nothing else left to do other than the bloody painting that we'd previously been avoiding like the plague, the irony.

So anyway totally reasonable suspicions aside, this month, I decided with all that time on my hands, it would be agreeable if I got my shit together and came up with an actual painting system. Not just wait for work to fuck me over and force me to furiously paint until 4 in the morning! So I decided to paint one layer of a single large or two small colours per day, and see how that went. The results in general were pretty good, and far less stressful. Especially for models that I already know the paint scheme for like the back of my hand. More importantly I finished the month without destroying my sleep schedule.

The List:

1 x Savage Orc Big Boss, DHW (100pts)


10 x Savage Orcs, bow (95 pts)


1 x cheeky leftover War Boar (8pts)


Total: 203pts



Da Bossman



Dat cheeky lil' boar

Da job so far

This month was basically much of the same, just cracking on with the rest of the Perry twins sculpts. The highlight being the wonderful bull horned big boss. I also added the cheeky little war boar that I somehow missed last year. Figured out right at the end of last years challenge that I'd forgotten to paint it, so that puts a lid on that. Next month will see the last of the remaining savage orc sculpts, which is a shaman, a banner and a fistful of bow boyz, plus hopefully a couple of snotling stands to round it out.

So that's that, loving all the armies coming together and looking forwards to going through all of this months entries. And Skaven jokes aside, please everyone stay safe out there and wash those hands.

10 comments:

  1. Sweet looking boss and wonderfully shooty force! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greenskins are always nice to see! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excitable boyz... Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking savage orcs. I love the old school bow colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you snuck over the line in the end mate and they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your recipe for orc green 👍 I particularly like the shaggy headed savagery of the boss. Can't wait for more! 🙏 I've claimed the right flank of this year's orc Waaagghhh.....il let you and Adrian fight it out for the left or centre 👍😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, made me smile. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the vibrant green skin tone you've achieved is spot on for Savage Orcs - brilliant work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you're working out a painting system for getting figures (and with O&G that means a lot of figures) done in the time you have. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog