Friday, April 3, 2020

Graeme's purveyors of pestilence for March (234.5 points)

The Skaven tactics are cunning and effective. The scouting parties infiltrate first, to measure the strength of their prey. Then, to weaken their enemies before the ravening hordes attack, Clan Pestilens is sent forth to spread disease and sickness...



My theme for March turned out to be unintentionally topical, as it was dedicated to Clan Pestilens: Plague Monks and Plague Censor Bearers








Plague Censer Bearers - 120 points
Three Plague Censer Bearers to hide in units, waiting for unsuspecting units to venture too close...
These were my expensive troops for this month and saved the day in terms of reaching the 200 point target.


Leader and 1st rank of the Plague Monks


2nd rank of the Plague Monks


3rd rank of the Plague Monks


Plague monks with a standard (totem) bearer, led by a level 5 Hero - 114.5 points
Fourteen Plague Monks with a totem, led by a level a Clan Chieftain. There are not many Plague Monk models for 3rd edition, so I chose to vary some of the colours I used, to make it less uniform. I went for a more subdued, sickly palette to best reflect their background. I tried to be a little more subtle with my shading of robes and was fairly pleased with the results.

Clan Chieftain (Level 5 Hero ), with halberd and light armour - 32 points
14 Plague Monks, with hand weapons and light armour - 82.5 points (including extra 5.5 points for the standard-bearer)



Who's a pretty boy then?

I had a handful of these models but decided to only use one since I was originally thinking of using it as a wizard. In the end, I decided to use it as a regular Plague Monk, to add some variety to the unit and was pretty happy with how he turned out.


All the purveyors of pestilence


3 Plague Censer Bearers - 120 points
Clan Chieftain (Level 5 Hero ) - 32 points
14 Plague Monks - 82.5 points (including extra 5.5 points for the standard-bearer)

Total for March: 234.5 points

Total for the army: 661 points

Next month the work on building up my rank-and-file troops continues. I've also been experimenting with banners, so hope to add at least one. If I have time, maybe some conversions too, to reinforce my Plague Monks unit with some chaotic brethren.

Hope everyone is safe and well and stays that way. Until next month!

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Ratwig! Plenty more in the pipeline...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful color choices! Team Skaven looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissanne! Yeah, all of #teamskaven are killing it this year. Definitely the year of the rat! :-)

      Delete
  3. Yes! My buddy C.L would love these. Great paint jobs and very appropriate clan for the month. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, too much of a coincidence for comfort... ;-)

      Delete
  4. Love the colour choice. The subdued toned fit so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James! I started doubting my choice half way through the month, but I'm really happy with how they turned out.

      Delete
  5. Great job on clan pestilence! Your color choice for the robes is well done and the unit as a whole is fantastic. Go #teamskaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Brendan! I'm relieved I managed to get a whole unit done this month. It's starting to feel like a proper army now. I'm determined to swell the ranks of #teamskaaven next month! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work - the rust looks really good next to the bright warp stone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Yeah, I like the way the subdued, drab colours really make the bright warpstone details stand out.

      Delete
  8. Wow, they look awesome. The bronze on the plague censor bearer looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Well spotted! I had painted plenty of verdigris corrosion on it, but the copper wash I used drowned it out. I'll go back and add it back when I've got some time.

      Delete
  9. Your army is shaping up really well mate and I love the models :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it's gone so far. Much more to come, I hope! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! Classic colour scheme without the eyeblinding effect they sometimes reach.

    I did *not* know Censer Bearers used to hide in units. Is that a Goblin Fanatic kind of deal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon!
      Yeah, the Plague Censer Bearers were furry versions of the Goblin Fanatics, with a warpstone-burning censer instead of a ball-and-chain... :-)

      Delete
  12. It's all your fault......but given the job you've done on those furry fungus flingers I'll forgive you.... Just this once �� Great job, loving the use of the scrollbearer as a champ. Great unit ��

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2020 Really is the year of the Skaven - lovely 'sickly' palette on these - keep up the excellent work :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheers! I'll do my best to keep them coming :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice looking unit. You're right, the minimal options for plague monks is an issue, but I think you got a good mix of figures and your painting helps keep them from looking too uniform.

    My only criticism is that you need to paint something on that scroll! ;) (Unintelligible script, glyphs, a portrait... something)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've got a few conversions in mind to help with the variety, but I'll have to see if I have time to get them done and painted before the end of the challenge.
      Yup, fair point, the empty scroll looks wrong... :-) There's definitely going to be something on the scroll by the end of the challenge and I've got some sources of inspiration - I just need to practice my freehand. I was too rushed to do it justice for the March deadline...

      Delete

Search This Blog