Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Jesse's Undead (1335 points)

This month was all lockdown so I got stuck into some painting. I was a bit worried after the earlier mulligan so I thought I would try and catch up on the plan I had come up with when I started. I ended up completing all of the units I had planned for the whole challenge so I am going to have to add in some extra units for the last two months.

The new characters, units and war machine.
I had a good time painting most these guys. The beast head champion and the beast pelt musician from the grim reaper unit were really cool miniatures. I had a couple of failures, my first liche and a vampire ended up in the stripping jar, which caused me to rethink my character choices. I painted a necromancer to see what trying to paint non-undead skin was like and it turned out ok so that gave me a necromancer. Next I wanted to try painting yellow so that turned into an army standard and resulted in all of the characters having a yellow element to make them stand out. Finally, the warhammer 3rd editition beastiary describes liches as 'power crazed weirdos' so I looked through my miniature trays to find something that matched that description.

Liche WIP

This miniature looked like it would work but I decided that a bone mask might make him look more liche and less chaos sorcerer.

The final breakdown of characters, units and war machines was as follows:

Level 20 liche 345
Level 10 necromancer 85
Level 15 undead hero, army standard, light armour 137
Level 20 undead hero, heavy armour 108
Level 10 undead hero, heavy armour 58
17 nightmare legion, standard, musician, spear, shield, light armour 266
Level 15 undead hero, light armour, double handed weapon 89
14 grim reapers, standard, musician, light armour 224
Stone Thrower & screaming skull ammunition. 85

Necromancer, Liche and Army Standard

The Grim Reapers

Knightmare legion

Stone Thrower

16 comments:

  1. Looks awesome mate and you should feel super proud of what you have managed to paint in such a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting there. Another unit of Skeleton Warriors and a corpse cart and I have a 2500 point army which is enough to play games. I have another 16 skeletons to paint after that and a chariot which will take me to 3K and complete the army.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic output! I think the chaos sorcerer makes a great liche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I spent ages going though my miniatures and this guy looked most like a mad Michael Moorecock villain.

      Delete
  3. Awesome work man! I really like the skeleton units, both of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was going to be a third but my brushes wore out.

      Delete
  4. These are great! And you just started painting? You got the hang of it really fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissanne. All of my painting now is just a base colour, a wash then some shading. It works on some miniatures but not on others. I really struggled with the catapult because of the large smooth areas. I had no clue what to do.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant mate. I love those skellies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah! The output is immense! I really like the blue swords :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah, almost single army in one month. Love the liche. The units are outstanding and the selection of grim reapers quite charismatic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely perfect little force so far. Really consistent with superb colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was worrying things were a bit dull so I worked the yellow in to add a little variety. I have a few ideas for the final month to sneak some colour in.

      Delete
  9. A month put to very good use I would say :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, lockdown has been pretty productive. I have done no painting since I went back to work...

      Delete
  10. Wow! Brilliant contribution! You've definitely made the most out of the lock-down and done a great job. The quality is good on everything, but those character models do stand out well. Keep it up! Can't wait to see the massive army you'll have at the end of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog