Monday, June 29, 2020

ZeroTwentythree's June Wood Elves (203 pts)

I optimistically planned for a full six months, no mulligan, and I made it. And then some. Sort of.

For June I painted 10 scouts that were part of the original core OWAC force. To round out my numbers, I painted an extra wardancer I discovered in a box, as well as one of the six archers that were donated to the OWAC cause by Shadespyre and his gaming group across the pond.

I was looking for six more so I could field three units of 10 archers. Originally I was going to paint all six of those archers, but I got sidetracked by random "extras" that I thought could find a home in the army... a faerie dragon familiar, and a small/young forest dragon. I'll paint the remaining five archers in the next few months. I'm just not in the mood to race through them the next few days.



The faerie dragon is from a pack of familiars from Reaper. Scouts are all old Citadel.



The small forest dragon is from Grenadier. It's on a 50mm square base, if that helps with scale.


The two stragglers, just so I could say I made 200 pt. min. for all six months. The plastic archer is the only "newer" figure in the force, and I hate saying it but this is one of my least favorite Citadel figures. The proportions are way off the rest of the figures, and don't make sense anatomically. If you look at the logical meeting place of the legs, it's up around the belt he's oddly wearing on his chest. Like he's built of shoulders sitting on a pelvis, with the rest of the torso missing. The hands are larger than his head, and the bow is ridiculously thick. I give a pass on a lot of proportions & quirks as being part of the stylization of the sculpts. But this one just looks... alien.

At any rate, below are my numbers. I'm not counting the two extras as anything. They may work their way into games in the future, but don't have a place within the Warhammer Armies list. On that note, I may go back and remove some of the other "extras" I did in my final wrap-up post and end up with a revised point total. I overshot the 1000 point goal by a longshot, and even doing six 200 point months, I'm over.


10 Glade Runners (scouts) w/longbow, hand weapon, shield...... 170 pts
1 Archer w/longbow, hand weapon, shield...... 12 pts
1 Wardancer w/additional hand weapon........ 21 pts
Dragonfly.....  0 pts
Young Dragon...... 0 pts

June Total ............. 203 pts


Previous Months: 1,611 pts

OWAC3 Running Total: 1,814 pts

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic finish! Love the dragon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dragonfly and young dragon are really cool. Well.do e on 6 solid months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this army. The colour scheme is so simple but you have a very visually cohesive force. Well done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely selection, and bonus Dragons (even/especially little ones!) are always a treat! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic as always, really like the alternative dark scheme of the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your elves, especially the group of warriors in the first pic. They make me think of the HQ one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work as always. I'm really looking forward to the family photoshoot for these, to watch all those lovely muted shades work together on your cool terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful brush work. The army is going to look great as a whole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice color scheme, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all the comments.

    I have mixed feelings on the dragon. I've got a number of old dragons that I've either stripped or have picked up over the years. Recently I've wanted to paint some, but have been intimidated. Thought I's start small with this one which was originally painted in enamels back when I first got into miniatures gaming in the '80s. The faerie dragon, on the other hand, I'm quite pleased with. I put a stupid amount of shading/highlighting into something so small no one will probably notice -- haha!

    Going to try another, probably bigger dragon soon.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog