Thursday, July 16, 2020

Glyn's Orc Waaaaggghhhhhh! The conclusion

So, 6 months, lots of paint and paintbrushes, some serious threats to sanity and one global pandemic later, I'm done!! 😀

I said at the outset that my involvement was a result of a new year resolution to challenge myself to see if a) I could do it; and b) do the challenge and the miniatures justice through my efforts. I am pleased to say check to a) but I'll leave judgement on b) to my fellow challengers.

My painting went pretty much to plan other than swapping my planned month for the trolls due to Covid impact upon the availability of the blue I wanted to use. I have had such a great time doing this. Really enjoyed the banter with you all, drooled at the quality of what you guys have produced, marvelled at the speed some of you can paint and been stunned at the volume of minis you can complete! Massive thanks has to go to our esteemed overlord, Iannick Martin, for his excellent marshalling of the event and ready advice for panicking participants! 😀

So, I set out to complete components of Skarsnik's forces at the Battle of East Gate at Karak Eight Peaks and at the end I have the required Orc Big Boss; Big 'Uns; the Shaman and the Stone Trolls. So a nice start! 🤘😊 I wanted my orcs to have a bit of a battle hardened and grimy look and I'm happy I feel I've achieved that. Pleased that the force seems pretty visually cohesive too. Force is (from 4th editition army book) :

Black orc Warboss 'Balgagz Gargul' 143 points
Orc Shaman Champion 'Gunky Bungole' - 118 points
Gorfang Rotgut - 90 points leading,
21 Orc Big 'Uns - 310.5 points
Oorni Bughah's Red Skullz Orcs - 235.5 points; and
6 Stone Trolls - 390 points

= 1287 points +25 points for the gift to the Overlord = 1312 points.

And so, some shots and the required pose.






I am still crap at taking photos but you'll see that I refrained from getting a haircut to make the pose more authentically Ansellesque 😂😂

Between now and when we meet again, I've got this little lot prepped to get on with 😳😂 (I know I've some mould lines to deal with, but I find it easier to see and sort them after undercoating 👍)


Thanks everyone. Wales, out 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Glad you enjoyed your experience. Its a lovely compact force, I especially like the Trolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iannick. Have loved the challenge. Thanks for allowing me to participate 👍

      Delete
  2. Wow, it's a big tick all round I think - congratulations!
    I love that your completing the Battle of East Gate forces, I spent sooooo long as a kid dreaming about having those armies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man 😀👍 yes, I coveted them as a child and am loving I can now make that dream real 🤘😍

      Delete
  3. I agree, I love your force, especially the trolls, and it's always nice to see the other challengers! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissanne, high praise from a great painter like you 👍 nice to be seen 😀

      Delete
  4. Those trolls are wonderful. The shirt's equally good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shirt is excellent......but I'll take the compliment in the trolls 😀👍 thank you

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work sir! The trolls are absolutely smashing (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad you like them 😀👍

      Delete
  6. Excellent work! I really like your army. Congratulations for winning your challenge(s)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie mille! Means a lot from a great painter like you 😀👍

      Delete
  7. Those trolls came out looking exceptional. Amazing army all around too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hobby achievement unlocked! You should be rightly proud of yourself mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more proud of achieving a comment like this from you!! 😳 Thank you do much! 😀👍

      Delete
  9. You can go ahead and check off b) in my book, you got it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some classic looking models, you did a wonderful job painting them and bringing them to life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've convincingly won both your challenges. Well done on a well-painted, classic Orc army! I can imagine this ugly mob gracing the pages of a '90's White Dwarf. Nice and consistent look and feel across the army. The Trolls really add menace to the army and the banner is a great touch.
    Looking forward to see what you bring to the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you do much for this high praise from such a talented painter 😊 I'm humbled 👍😀

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog