Monday, July 20, 2020

ZeroTwentythree's Post-OWAC3 Wood Elf Wrap-Up (1,597 pts)

I made it! Again!

The Army. The Green Man.

A bit different this year. Obviously there's the worldwide plague going on and all that entails. Sometimes it was hard to focus or find time. But when I could, painting has been a pleasant escape from the Grim Darkness of the Present. And this year's project was definitely pleasant. Where last year was sometimes a chore (monopose plastic high elves and that f'ing chariot...) this year was nothing but enjoyable miniatures. I've always liked the Jes Goodwin wood elves, and some of the extras from other manufacturers just as good. I'm even thrilled with hoe the old "Jolly Green Giant" ent turned out!

I do wish I had finished the last five figures, but they weren't part of the original plan anyway. So it's not a major letdown. I also had some background fluff in my head, but never managed to write it out the way I did last year. The trade off is that I painted way more figures than I had intended, and it amounts to almost every wood elf related figure I've got.

The Tally

I've decided to tally up only the core of the army and count that as my legitimate OWAC total. This is more or less what I had planned to paint from the start, and did accomplish in painting. (I painted a few more wardancers than I had intended when I found some extras.)

15 Archers with shields, incl. standard and musician ...... 204 pts
15 Archers with shields, incl. standard and musician ...... 204 pts.
10 Glade Runners (scouts) w/longbow, hand weapon, shield ...... 170 pts
14 Wardancers w/2 hand weapons or hand weapon + shield ..... 294 pts
11 Wardancers w/double handed weapons ...... 242 pts
1 Life Mage (15) ..... 203 pts
1 Ent ................. 280 pts
                                                                              
Core OWAC3 Wood Elf Army Total ......... 1,597 pts
(3rd ed. Warhammer Armies book)


Then there was the unexpected...

Bonus figures painted:

1 Overlord Tribute ....... 25 pts
2 Wood Riders incl. standard ........ 60 pts
1 Beastmaster w/ shield and 5 bears ....... 114 pts
1 Drag-Ent ....... 280 pts
1 Hero (20) w/longbow on eagle ..... 246 pts
1 Archer w/longbow, hand weapon, shield ...... 12 pts
1 Wardancer w/additional hand weapon ........ 21 pts
1 Dragonette Familiar ....... 0 pts
1 Dragonfly Familiar ..... 0 pts
1 Young Dragon ...... 0 pts
Tree & 'shroom (terrain) ....... 0 pts


Unpainted:

5 Archers with shields .................... 60 pts

So, not counting the Overlord Tribute or the Drag-Ent, there's a 2000 point playable army in there.

Selfie with the army. Stealth mode style.

The Future


Future of the wood elves. What else for them? Obviously I will finish the last five archers. They're already started. I am also thinking about picking up a few more Grenadier cavalry so I can actually field a small unit of Wood Riders. They're really nice sculpts! And as of today (07/14 - too late for the OWAC) I am soon expecting the delivery of one of the figures that I had been trying to get for the challenge but failed -- a classic Zoat!

Beyond that... not sure there's much more I have in mind for this army. Maybe an alternate hero or two? I think this small "second tier" (in my setting/future campaign) army is close to complete.

Future of me and the OWAC. Of course I'm thinking of the next project. I'm a miniatures gamer/collector. We always have at least three other projects going or planned. With rumors of possible expansion of the OWAC into the far future, I've got a few considerations on my mind.

  • Eldar. This is a tough one. Except for a squad of five, my old figures are all gone (and were all painted anyway.) If I do this, I want a mostly RT "space elves" style army. I did get a little start in this direction (thanks Scott!) But after looking around a bit, these figures are really difficult/expensive to get, with no modern equivalents like some of the other armies. Not sure this one is practical.
  • Old World Mercenary/Dogs of War. Pretty sure I've got more than enough figures to do this.
  • Space Slann. I've always liked Diehard Miniatures Eru-Kin and have wanted an excuse to buy some. Not old figures, but definite oldschool feel, and sculpted by an Oldhammer legend. This would mean an entirely new army, but should be less expensive and certainly easier to get than the Eldar. I'd have to see if it's in the budget.

11 comments:

  1. Great write up! Looking forward to what you come up with next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing - congratulations!
    Gutted the zoat couldn't make it in time - please be liberal with the pictures when he's all painted up :)
    Your army looks soooo good all together. I like the really high eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your army, and loved watching it grow! Especially the wardancers and 'giant month' I think you called it. And I love, love, love your final pose! Shall we call you treebeard now! Congratulations for making it through again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great output, great painting! It's really a lovely force Thomas. I like the dark colour scheme. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great army! I love these models

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it!! You're secretly a dwarf.....what a mugnificent green beard!!! 😀 Lovely army and your Conan inspired paint theme is immense 👏👏 well done mate 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work! Also, great Greenbeard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all! It was a very enjoyable Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wood elves for the win! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice wrap up and a truly impressive output in terms of both quantity and quality. Top stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a fantastic army!
    I eagerly followed your contibutions each month and really enjoyed seeing the army grow with a great mix of troops and monsters and heroes. You managed to give the army a much different look and feel from the typical wood elf green and brown scheme and it worked extremely well. Impressive productivity and really cracking work!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog