Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Paul D's / Golgfag1 February - more amazonian pilgrims (470 points)

Rank and file #2

 - 30x spear block, with no champions, musician or standard (270 points) with a detachment of 10x sling armed skirmishers of Greek / Hellenistic Pilgrims (60 - 70 points), figures were produced by Foundry (Will always be Citadel to my mind), which appear to be currently unavailable.



Following a promising start on the initial batch, I attempted to attach them to their plastic bases to assist holding them steady, whilst I paint the detail, with some old epoxy resin I had in my box of stuff, I should have realised as I mixed the two components together that something wasn't right, as I watched fumes and feel the heat rise! but I carried on, trying to hold the figures in place whilst the glue set, but it didn't, after about a hour with a semi-set gloop around the figures feet, I went off to bed in hope that the bloody stuff would set by the time I rose from my bed. Needless to say it didn't. So I removed the bases, cleaned off the mess and set the half completed figures to one side, whilst I ordered replacement bases via E-bay. 

Thus, I found myself splashing paint over what was to be the second batch of figures and their shields, inspired by a touch of light reading from Osprey and Mr McBrides artwork. The initial freehand efforts with the lions heads were a tad small, but rather the paint over and start again, I added a laurel reef around the edge, which I'm quite pleased with (happy accident). The other shields are my attempt to mould other typical designs on to the face of the supplied Spartan shields.

So my intended second batch, is now my first, currently look like this, with more to follow. I usually decorate bases within a unit/army at the same time, so you'll just have to wait until I've completed this months efforts to see them finished.







Following the delivery of new bases and a weekend of not doing anything else but daubing paint, gluing and dipping, my initial efforts have been brought to a successful conclusion.



Also, splashed a touch of paint over the skirmishers


As I rattled those off fairly quick, I decided to add another unit of rank and file - this time, mask wearing tribeswomen armed with spears and shields. A nice stroke of co-incidence, theirs shields have moulded lions heads to match my earlier attempts at freehand.

 

All for a grand total of a hundred and forty points to add to my earlier efforts giving a grand total of four hundred and seventy points for this month.     




Next months allocation - As I've now broken the back (758 points) of hitting the thousand point mark, I'm going to try dabbing a touch of paint over a few Citadel 'C30' Amazonian Bodyguards, which will be my Elite choice, designed by the Perry twins http://www.solegends.com/citc/c030amazons/index.htm . Doubt, I'll be hitting the same number of actual figures, as I'll be mixing my palette to give them a touch of variety, but time will tell. 

 Hope you're enjoying the journey as much as I'am?

16 comments:

  1. Such a cool army- Great work on the shields!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the knid comments, the free-hand shield designs were surprisingly easy once I'd worked out the basic shape and touched in the details.

      Delete
  2. Like a whole army each month :)
    The masks are absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THe last couple of months have been fairly stressful at work, so my release is painting miniatures, whenever I get the chance hence the numbers. It's also the case that I want to give Steve/ a run for his money - https://teasgettingcold.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  3. That's a ridiculous number of miniatures! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but it's a one off, doubt I'll do it again.

      Delete
  4. I think I would have given up after the basing disaster. You deserve bonus points for persevering. And those shields are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, not in my nature, "just keep buggering on" to quote Churchill, is my motto.

      Delete
  5. You are a painting machine! Not just figures, but freehand shields too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not the first time I've been called a painting machine, currently looking through my 'to do' box to draw inspiration for next month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive amount of work. I can't imagine how long those shields took.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the shields took about two to three hours tops, once I got the basic shape with fuzzy bits around the top for the mane the details (eyes and teeth) are just dots of paint in the general area of where they need to be and the laurels are just a cris-cross of small marks around the head.

      Delete
  8. Excellent work sir and I think you've more than given me a run for my money XD

    I particularly like the masked tribes women and the freehand shields came out great! Looking forward to the Citadel Amazons next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Steve, as for the next task I'm currently amalgamating a couple of models/figures to give me something with a little more punch, watch this space!

      Delete
  9. That's a lots of Amazons here. I love the shields and masks.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog