Monday, August 2, 2021

Shadespyre's Lizardmen - Karnac's Return (2675 points) - Wrap Up and Reflections

Wrap Up

It's actually so long since I finished working on this project that I almost forgot that I needed to do this bit...

Army Shot (minus the extra bits and bobs)


Compact, isn't it? Just 61 points scoring models. I think some of you painted units bigger than that.

Army List

I've pretty much thrown away the available "official" listings, which straddle 2nd and 3rd edition, and worked this up from the 3rd Ed WHFB book and Warhammer Armies. Also I wanted to "level up" Karnac into a proper Dwarf-kingdom-threatening-badass.

To my surprise, due to the cost of characters, this tots up to 2675 points! A few magic items could take this to 3000, I should think. It's a lot of Wounds in a small model count, I've no idea how it would play.

Karnac's Raiders

Karnac (level 25 Lizardman Hero)    - Bow, Light Armour                                     - 278 points
Huris (level 5 Lizardman Hero)        - Bow, Light Armour, Shield                           - 80 points
13 Lizardman Raiders                        - Bow, Light Armour, Musician, Standard    - 420 points     

Karnac's Other Raiders

10 Lizardman Raiders                        - Bow, Light Armour                                     - 280 points 

Karnac's Teeth

The Black Lizard (level 15 Lizardman Hero)    - Great Weapon                             -  174 points
7 Lizardman +1 Shock Elites            - Great Weapon                                                -182 points

Karnac's Scales

Champion (level 5 Lizardman Hero)    - Shield                                                        - 74 points
14 Lizardmen                                        - Shield, Musician, Standard                        - 352 points

Karnac's Slaves

Slavemaster (level 5 Lizardman Hero)    - Spear                                                    - 72 points
9 Lizardmen Slaves                                - Spear    -                                                 198 points

Witchdoctor (level 15 Lizardman Wizard)                                                               - 245 points

Shaman (level 5 Lizardman Wizard) -                                                                     - 70 points

Baluk's Bane (level 1 Dragon)                                                                                 - 250 points


Reflections on my first OWAC

How Did It Go?

For a project that I barely put any planning into - not bad at all! Colour schemes, basing, unit make-up were all established and changed on the fly as I bought extra minis or had new ideas. I was glad to get off to a good start and once I was into my stride I was flying through it - most of the painting was done by March, I think. Which was just as well as my back and other health issues have caused a few problems since then... I would *try* and plan more - both do more planning AND plan to paint more models - for the next OWAC, I think.

I didn't end up hating the miniature range, and I'm pleased with the results, so that's all good.

Favourite Bits

It's always nice to finish the first unit, that's always the moment when you know a project is a goer. Painting a dragon is always a high point, and fiddling around with mushrooms, stalagmites and the little dwarven influences was fun. The foolish checkered banner was a challenge, but came out okay and I think I could do better next time.

What Went Wrong?

Apart from the back problems, there were two main issues. One was the expense and difficulty of getting more minis, which is the main reason why there isn't a proper spear armed unit - I just wasn't prepared to spend £150-200+ that even a 15 strong regiment would have cost, if I could even find enough models.Actually, that brings up the "Meso-American" problem. Those spear armed minis especially are just too junglified to match in with the Dwarvish basement lurkers theme, even if I could source them.

The second was the basing scheme, which seemed like a good idea for the first 20 models and then became dull and laborious to do, especially as my supply of slate started to dwindle and there was less material to choose good bits from. Ultimately, I think this would stop me adding more than a few more minis to the unit - making another movement tray would be a big hassle.

Expansion Plans?

If a dozen more spearmen fell into my lap I'd have to find a way to include them as another unit. The same goes of course for the three or four rare minis from the range that I haven't been able to find. As I think I said during the project, I considered making Baluk's Bane be a Balrog or similar, and I think that is the most likely future addition - a big scaly demon!

What's Next Time?

One of:

Citadel Fantasy Tribes Goblins

Citadel Pre-Slotta Dark Elves

Ral Partha Tom Meier High Elves

Citadel Pre-Slotta / Early Slotta High Elves

Rogue Trader Eldar / Space Elf Pirates

I have an almost endless pile of potential projects, but these are the most OWAC compatible choices

12 comments:

  1. Done by March eh? Good grief! Also: nearly 3000points in just over 60 models - that's bananas! Anyway, great job in completion, especially with those back issues, man - what a chore! I hope it gets better soon.
    I can see that the basing with the slate would be a pain for the movement trays - well done in getting those finished! I fit counts, my vote is for Goblins next year :)

    Good things come in small packages eh? :) Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards Goblins but it would mean painting three times as many models to accumulate half as many points, which is rather daunting!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on a successful first OWAC and hopefully many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a tidy and cohesive force! We don't often see lizardmen forces, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all, it's a shame there was never really a proper Old World army list for Lizardmen, it was a missed opportunity which I've barely started to address here. But then, you can see from this mini range that even while sculpting it they were looking Westwards to the jungles... anyway, it was nice to have a reason to get these out of a box and paint them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking army! You've really done these old models justice. It's such a pity they are so scarce and expensive to collect - I would love to see how you expand and develop it.
    Looking forward to see what you decide on for the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joy to see this many old Lizardmen painted up together! Cracking job and I feel your pain trying to get hold of reinforcements and rarities for them. I have a small collection to be added as vassal troops for my Slann so the jungley look doesn't faze me too much. Always loved the Old World, Dwarf murderer background for them too though! Not an easy bunch to paint and you've done them more than justice - the basing looks a treat even if it was a pain as well.

    Have you come across the Bob Olley sculpted Bane Fiend from the old Ral Partha Crucible line? Might be good for your scaly Demon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll go have a look at that model, I'm not familiar with it.

      Delete
  7. excellent to see so many well painted lizardmen models in one place!! congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing work Shadespyre!
    I’m fond of all the models used here, the c series Lizardmen are just lovely!
    A great year to be on team lizardman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see a whole army of lizardmen as they were described in the old days (I'm thinking WFRP 1 bestiary) - menace lurking in the deepest caverns. Very cool looking army and a very rare one! I especially love your wingless lizardly wyrm . Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These old lizardmen are such fantastic figures it really is a pity that they are so difficult to source. You have done a fantastic job with these. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog