Tuesday, July 5, 2022

goblinpaladin's Wood Elves II - a June Wild Card update (560 points)

 But if we stayed home and did nothing, doom would find us anyway, sooner or later.

    - Fangorn in The Lord of the RingsJ.R.R. Tolkien

tolkien rules, shakespeare drools

Happy June, folks! I kept getting distracted by other projects, so despite all my efforts, I only actually painted these guys this week - and then nearly forgot to do this post! Dangit.

Very technically these are rank-and-file. In third edition, treemen come from the rank-and-file allotment, meaning you could have an entire army of treemen, led by a single elf hero. I'm sure that would be completely terrible on the field, but also extremely cool. Still, I only did two, so this is a wild card month:

RANK ⁊ FILE
Treeman (280 points)
Treeman (280 points)

Of course, they need no introduction.



These were mostly painted with contrasts and washes, with some stripey highlights on this fellow's white-grey bark. Trish Carden's sculpts are absolutely beautiful, so not really a lot else to say (for once).



The little mushroom man was sent to me by the fellow I bought them from, who I realised post-purchase is Ross from Krakon Games! He'd sent me a little Mykeling freebie. Someone, somewhere built a troll or giant with a snotling on the base mimicking his big friend, and as soon as I saw the little guy I knew that he was going to stick with the Treeman in the same pose - and here he is. Look at his tiny screaming face.

[Treeman]
From Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves, Nigel Stillman. Artist uncredited. © Games Workshop, 1996

That's it! That's the final entry! I've painted nearly all the wood elves I own, and nearly finished the army plan I designed back in 2018 with all the figures I wanted. Still want some more Morley waywatchers though...

6 comments:

  1. Great Treemen! I love the bark effect, and congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say that is a baby Mykeling from Krakon! I have a bunch of them and am considering using them as Dryad proxies for a Wood Elf army, but am split with wanting to paint them in Nurgle colours.

    Anyway, the point is.... Yes! That is a great little combo with the classic Trish sculpt and the two treemen are ace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! The contrast paint with a highlight looks flipping brilliant! Congrats on completing your army 4 years in the making! 🔥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orange mushrooms and greens were done with regular paints, mostly because i don't own any green contrasts, but yeah. Trish's sculpting has great details for contrast to use!

      Delete

Search This Blog